July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
So, I candled last night to get an official count of messed up air cells....I've got 2 that are definitely detached with little bubbles floating around (1 wheaten, 1 silver), 8 that are saddled (2 wheatens, 6 silvers), and 2 that are real wobbly (both silvers). Out of all my silver eggs, only 6 are looking kinda ok. All of them have kind of wonky looking air cells, except the blues. The blues all look fine for some reason. I hope I still get enough to hatch. I've never dealt with saddled air cells or anything. Is there any chance the totally detached ones will hatch? I don't wanna leave them in there if there isn't.

She has beautiful birds! I’m even more excited now to see what hatches. 😍
I'm super excited too! She's the only Ameraucana breeder I've ever found who has all the varieties I want to raise, and she's fairly local, and her birds are stunning! It's a match made in heaven. She's also been really sweet and helpful dealing with my anxiety over the shipped eggs. I will definitely be getting more from her, especially if these guys don't do so well. Next time tho, I'm totally making the trip to pick them up. Don't want a repeat of the handling they received this time.

So, I candled last night to get an official count of messed up air cells....I've got 2 that are definitely detached with little bubbles floating around (1 wheaten, 1 silver), 8 that are saddled (2 wheatens, 6 silvers), and 2 that are real wobbly (both silvers). Out of all my silver eggs, only 6 are looking kinda ok. All of them have kind of wonky looking air cells, except the blues. The blues all look fine for some reason. I hope I still get enough to hatch. I've never dealt with saddled air cells or anything. Is there any chance the totally detached ones will hatch? I don't wanna leave them in there if there isn't.
Catching up on the thread. So happy to read your eggs finally arrived!😊:wee
If the air cell is completely detached there is still a small chance that the eggs can make it. I would leave these eggs upright for a few days and see if they reattach. I’ve only been successful with this once. The little bubbles are not a good sign usually. Though it is worth a try.
Have you read this thread? It is older but still some useful information when hatching shipped eggs.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/17631705

I'm super excited too! She's the only Ameraucana breeder I've ever found who has all the varieties I want to raise, and she's fairly local, and her birds are stunning! It's a match made in heaven. She's also been really sweet and helpful dealing with my anxiety over the shipped eggs. I will definitely be getting more from her, especially if these guys don't do so well. Next time tho, I'm totally making the trip to pick them up. Don't want a repeat of the handling they received this time.
She really does have gorgeous birds! 🥰
A few years back I reached out to her to see if she would ship eggs to Hawaii, but no go!
Can’t wait to see the chicks you get from these!😊

I got on her website because I just had to look, lol! They are very pretty birds! I think I'll have to give her a test drive the next time I have a broody

You live in Hawaii... Do you get wild chickens there?
Oh yes! Sometimes they are wondering about in our yard.
Try to keep them out of our property because of diseases and such. My birds are kept in coops and runs. I let them “free range” only when I am there to watch them.
The current wild ones are pretty good about staying over in the neighbors property, he feeds them kitchen scraps. There was a mama out there the other day with 10 babies!😊

That's so awesome. Wild chickens are amazing. :D
Oh yes! Sometimes they are wondering about in our yard.
Try to keep them out of our property because of diseases and such. My birds are kept in coops and runs. I let them “free range” only when I am there to watch them.
The current wild ones are pretty good about staying over in the neighbors property, he feeds them kitchen scraps. There was a mama out there the other day with 10 babies!😊

Back
Top Bottom