July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
A few minutes ago the last two that needed to zip are out. I locked down 9 turkey eggs and 5 Aloha eggs and they all hatched.

On another note, since it is so humid and hot here, I had to turn off the heat lamp because the babies moved about 6 feet away. the Temperature gauge states it is 101 in the brooder barn, so I'll turn it on when it starts to cool down.

First pip! Just shy of day 20 and on the wrong end. :barnie Not unexpected for shipped eggs but I’d rather see a few regular pips too. I candled earlier and 17/19 eggs have dipped down air cells. I dropped the temp 1/2 degree this round (smallest increment on the NR 360) at day 10, because of so many day 20 hatchers last time. It looks like that might have done the trick but I’ll know for sure tomorrow.
8A49D4C3-E6FB-4505-AEC4-08610085B8F4.jpeg

First pip! Just shy of day 20 and on the wrong end. :barnie Not unexpected for shipped eggs but I’d rather see a few regular pips too. I candled earlier and 17/19 eggs have dipped down air cells. I dropped the temp 1/2 degree this round (smallest increment on the NR 360) at day 10, because of so many day 20 hatchers last time. It looks like that might have done the trick but I’ll know for sure tomorrow.
View attachment 3174427
Keep us posted on how it does!

Second pip! Also on a Back cross Olive egger. This one is in the right place. Day 20 started about an hour ago.

I’d falsely claimed in a previous post I have 6 Silverudd’s and 1 BC Olive egger remaining. I noticed at lockdown it’s actually 5 Silverudd’s and 2 BC Olive egger. :oops: Oops, eggs are all identical greens. Good thing they were well labeled.

813CD00A-6279-47D7-A09A-7512211105DE.jpeg

Well, I've got some sad news. Had to pull EIGHT more eggs tonight... :hit
There was one suspicious looking one two days ago that I had decided I would check again tonight (Day 7), and it had indeed died, so I pulled it, then decided to check the rest just for fun, and found 2 that looked to have died right after candling two days ago, and 5 that were nothing but blood rings. All looked fine two days ago. I don't get it. I've never had so many early deaths before. Blew my mind. I didn't even know they could go from looking totally healthy to blood rings in just two days. I'm devastated. Down to 23 out of the original 40...10/14 wheatens (with 1 more suspicious one I'm leaving til Day 10), 6/11 BBS (none of these were pulled this time, and only 7 (!) out of 15 Silvers. I really hope I don't lose too many more. It's heartbreaking. On the plus side, my news eggs coming in should all fit in the incubator now....

Well, I've got some sad news. Had to pull EIGHT more eggs tonight... :hit
There was one suspicious looking one two days ago that I had decided I would check again tonight (Day 7), and it had indeed died, so I pulled it, then decided to check the rest just for fun, and found 2 that looked to have died right after candling two days ago, and 5 that were nothing but blood rings. All looked fine two days ago. I don't get it. I've never had so many early deaths before. Blew my mind. I didn't even know they could go from looking totally healthy to blood rings in just two days. I'm devastated. Down to 23 out of the original 40...10/14 wheatens (with 1 more suspicious one I'm leaving til Day 10), 6/11 BBS (none of these were pulled this time, and only 7 (!) out of 15 Silvers. I really hope I don't lose too many more. It's heartbreaking. On the plus side, my news eggs coming in should all fit in the incubator now....
What a major bummer. It mirrors what I find in shipped eggs: early quitters and, unfortunately, DIS. Both very common in shipped eggs. 😔

Were these eggs located around the edges of the turner? Other than just being shipped eggs temp fluctuations might account for some of these losses.

Back
Top Bottom