July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Welp… I had zero intention of being in this thread but we have a broody and my neighbor wants some chicks (something got her hens) and so I’m going to take the eggs from the broody tonight and break her and put eggs in the incubator. It should be a staggered hatch starting around July 31st and going into first week of August. The chicks will be full BLRW and BLRWxOrpington crosses.

Ditto that!
My Satins and Silkies are doing pretty well. I do give them lots of extra cold treats and stopped giving them cracked corn during this heat.
I would imagine a Cochin is fairly similar to what i have right?

I have never had any silkies so I have no idea how they compare. The Cochin is loosely-feathered and fluffy.

One of the frustrating bits is our temps swing 40°+ nightly, we still dip down into the 50s while having high 90s. Glad for the relief, but not sure how helpful it is for them to regulate such a swing

Before AC was widely available I personally always had an easier time with the heat if it cooled off at night. Hot days plus hot nights would quickly wear me down.

It is! I have a pair of the cutest pullets ever, drove about an hour away for them 😅 I’m a sucker for fun breeds! So flashy and the comb is darling
I have 2 of them as well. I had 1 last year and she died at 9 weeks from who knows what.... So this year I got 2 just in case. One had a rough start and almost died twice and my 17 year old nursed her back both times. She is healthy and doing great. Then the other one has done great from day 1, but my 19 yr old wanted to keep her, 17 yr old wanted the one she nursed back.... So we now have both. Lol. They are 13 weeks

Ok some of my air cells look huge. Some are saddled big time. I did weigh a couple quick today just to see and weight loss seemed to be right on. So should I not worry about how big they look if they are losing the right percent???
I found in my last hatch the biggest indicator of hatching was not air cells or egg shape…the ones that didn’t hatch were the ones that lost the most weight. I had tiny round eggs hatch fine, a long skinny egg hatch fine, and wonky air cells hatch fine.

I found in my last hatch the biggest indicator of hatching was not air cells or egg shape…the ones that didn’t hatch were the ones that lost the most weight. I had tiny round eggs hatch fine, a long skinny egg hatch fine, and wonky air cells hatch fine.
Ok going to weigh them all tonight. The ones that were 48g I checked 3 and 2 we're 42g one was 41g. 13% would be losing 6.24g. so 41.76g so 41-42g sounds normal

Good thing I did this what I did yesterday lol

Came home today after supper I decided to go have a look before putting my daughter to bed. Well well well

Here is my first hatch

Attachments

• PXL_20220714_221342065.jpg
    PXL_20220714_221342065.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom