Joining a little late (or early?) for the June hatch along! I set 30 shipped eggs on Friday 5/13 at midnight, so I am expecting a hatch next Thursday night or early Friday 6/3. :fl

IMG_20220515_153114_374.jpg

These are Icelandic eggs from Whippoorwill Farm. All 30 eggs arrived intact with only a handful of wobbly air cells and a couple porous shells.

This is the first time I've hatched white/cream colored eggs and it's been SO much easier to candle compared to dark brown eggs I've hatched in the past.

On day 8 I pulled 7 clear eggs. On day 12 I pulled 2 obvious quitters/blood rings. Tonight there's one more that looks suspect, but I am going to give it until lockdown just in case.

The remaining 20 have well defined veins and I can see embryo movement!

IMG_20220526_215053_660.jpg

IMG_20220526_215125_036.jpg

I've been pretty nervous, since these were shipped and it's been ~10 years since I've hatched eggs or kept chickens. Hoping all goes well and I'm able to start a strong flock of Icelandics this year.

Here's a few photos of when they arrived:
IMG_20220512_153937_077.jpg

IMG_20220512_162330_099.jpg

Joining a little late (or early?) for the June hatch along! I set 30 shipped eggs on Friday 5/13 at midnight, so I am expecting a hatch next Thursday night or early Friday 6/3. :fl

View attachment 3125319

These are Icelandic eggs from Whippoorwill Farm. All 30 eggs arrived intact with only a handful of wobbly air cells and a couple porous shells.

This is the first time I've hatched white/cream colored eggs and it's been SO much easier to candle compared to dark brown eggs I've hatched in the past.

On day 8 I pulled 7 clear eggs. On day 12 I pulled 2 obvious quitters/blood rings. Tonight there's one more that looks suspect, but I am going to give it until lockdown just in case.

The remaining 20 have well defined veins and I can see embryo movement!

View attachment 3125271

View attachment 3125286

I've been pretty nervous, since these were shipped and it's been ~10 years since I've hatched eggs or kept chickens. Hoping all goes well and I'm able to start a strong flock of Icelandics this year.

Here's a few photos of when they arrived:View attachment 3125248
View attachment 3125310
That development looks textbook! Well done getting them this far. I can wait to see what hatches for you. Hopefully a bumper crop of Icelandics! Theyā€™ll sure be cute and colorful.

I will join! I have 18+ shipped BBS large fowl Cochin eggs coming today!!!!!!!!!!! I will be putting them under my 2 broody's for a hatch date of 6/18. I will let them rest today and place them under them tomorrow! I am so excited and hoping for MUCH better luck than I had last month with my shipped eggs!

I will join! I have 18+ shipped BBS large fowl Cochin eggs coming today!!!!!!!!!!! I will be putting them under my 2 broody's for a hatch date of 6/18. I will let them rest today and place them under them tomorrow! I am so excited and hoping for MUCH better luck than I had last month with my shipped eggs!
Hey @junior67 Iā€™ve never dealt w a broody, so Iā€™m just genuinely curious. Would it be a possibility to give each broody 6 eggs, and keep 6 inside in the brooder? Just in case they abandon or crack some? Again, Iā€™ve never used a broody so I donā€™t know the ā€œrisksā€ involved. (And then you can go crazy candling a few of them indoors). šŸ˜‚

Hey @junior67 Iā€™ve never dealt w a broody, so Iā€™m just genuinely curious. Would it be a possibility to give each broody 6 eggs, and keep 6 inside in the brooder? Just in case they abandon or crack some? Again, Iā€™ve never used a broody so I donā€™t know the ā€œrisksā€ involved. (And then you can go crazy candling a few of them indoors). šŸ˜‚
I probably could and thought of that but think my family wants the counter back..... LOL Trying to think of a safe place I can put it that it doesn't take up any room. I might be able to find somewhere in my bedroom.... Ditzy was really great with her eggs though and I was less stressed with her doing it than worrying I was messing something up with temp and humidity. hmm need to think about this for the nest 24 hrs. haahaa

Back
Top Bottom