Just had to post this.....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by NewToFarming, Aug 1, 2011.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    This is Lyle and Baby. Both have had onset of leg paralysis and are to go to the vet on Wednesday. It is a shame becasue both are so sweet and I had to post a final picture of them because the outlook does not look really good for either of them. Lyle started about 2 weeks ago and Baby just 2 days ago. I am suspecting Mareks but don't know for sure yet. I feed them both sitting on my lap and Lyle had put his wing over baby.
    I just had to post a final picture of these two. I will surely miss them!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Oh, I'm so sorry! Sounds like you did everything possible for them. You did your best! I feel your pain.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How sad.

4. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    [​IMG] How very sad. Sending hugs [​IMG]

5. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thank you! I am just devastated that it could be Mareks. I had a necrospy done on a pullet that started with symptoms in February and now that these 2 are showing the same symptoms I am really suspecting Mareks although the previous necropsy did not show that.
    I just had to take a picture and post of them because of how cute they were sitting together like that. Thanks for all of your kind words! Only BYC people would understand!

6. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing them. I'm sorry to hear they may have Mareks. [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    So sorry. And chance mytoxicosis is the issue? Even the tiniest amount of mold, way down in a crevice or under the feeder/waterer, causes the paralysis as well.

8. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I am sure it could have been. I will have to research that We had alot of rain early in the season and I am sure there could have been some somewhere. Thanks for bringing that up and I will research it before the vet trip on Wednesday.

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I'm so sorry... how heartbreaking. Any chicken on your property ever have a cold like symptoms? MS/MG is also a possibility with paralysis, although it's just as bad as Mareks...... Not knowing is frustrating, [​IMG]

10. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Quote:Yes! It is awful not knowing! What is MS/MG? I had gotten some Orp girls in the beginning of August last year and one of them sounded congested but it seemed to be stress related. I would notice the congestion when she couldn't find her best buddy or if she couldn't make it to her spot on the perch and then other times she appeared fine. I had one other pullet that developed symptoms in February that I had hatched and then Lyle who just turned 3 months old and Baby who is now only 4 weeks old. The first pullet was about 2 1/2 months old when she showed the paralysis.
    Lyle and Baby both have a really good appetite right now, poops look good, eyes are bright and clear. It seems the only symptom is paralysis??? Lyle actually seems to have gained weight since I brought him into the house and Baby is a little chunker so I am really at a loss. I did have a necropsy done on my first pullet and it showed a possible prior infection of the gut and maybe lungs. I can post exactly what it said if you would like? But there was no mention of MAreks and it took me 1 1/2 months to get the results!!!
    It seems to start in the feet. Lyle's one leg is very stiff and his toes turn under but if he gets his balance he can still stand. He does have trouble sitting. He seems to fall forward so I have to prop him up. They both have the forward and backward leg. I just wish I knew what it was so I can try to get rid of the problem if that would be possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by