Just reserved our puppy - link to parent's pics added!!

Quote:
IMO, 2 female GSD are potentially worse than two males.

I still think one of each is best.

Quote:
lol that was a brain spasm typo on my part. Please don't tell my pastor I don't know how to spell shepherd.
hide.gif

Oh, almost forgot. The breeder told us that Jax's sire weighs a little over 100 lbs. They are from german, working lines.
Jax is right now @ 70+ lbs. and he was 7 months old yesterday. I've had a bet going with DH. I say Jax will reach 90 or better, DH says 80. Guess who's going to win this bet.
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Well the way I've figured it, the pup will be Jax's half-brother and his cousin. That makes sense to me, seeing as how we live in Arkansas.
gig.gif

That is funny.

I had two GSD males together. It was AWEFUL! One male had to be in a crate, in the bathroom, or outside at all times. It took two different people to swap dogs for the backyard. One afternoon the male that was in the house escaped to the backyard. The younger male came out of nowhere and nailed the older broadside. The two went to the dirt, teeth and fur flying everywhere.

I was waiting for the opportune moment to break them apart. The younger penned the older down and I feared for the older's throat, and I had the perfect chance at the younger's collar. Grabbed it and in one swift movement he whipped around and caught my hand with a single tooth. In this moment the older pinned the younger down and went for the abdomen, horrors of live evisceration went through my head. So I grabbed the older by the collar and pulled him off, he immediately went to a sit! But my father's dog, the younger, the son of a grump lept off the ground fighting mad and went for the older's scruff, got my arm in the perfect bite glove bite and bit down, before he realized who EXACTLY he had in his teeth. He let go and bolted, probably fearing for his life. This broke the fight because the younger was the antagonizer and the older was more well behaved and fought in defense.

To this day, I still have the scar on my hand and the two big marks on my arm, where the younger bit me. Little son of a gun, fought like a mad drunk!

We never resolved this issue. We ended up rehoming one.

I hope to this day that is was simply just the younger male's issue that kept this from working. I do wish you very well on your new pup, I'm so excited for you!

Last edited:
Just have to say that I love, love, love my GSDs!!! I have two, male and female, both altered and from rescue situations, both around 3 years old. Best of luck!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that the litter turns out the way you're hoping!

Male is front and center and my female is snoozing in the background.

33109_100_0157.jpg

I've had GSD's for years. The last two that I have had were both entact males. One older and one younger. The older male was the king of the farm and knew it. The only time that there was any problems was when the younger male thought that he would topple the king. It was tried several times over the years and didn't work! The King as since died and the younger dog has assumed the position. They will work it out if left to their own devices. Rarely will there be any blood shed. The dominant will prevail and the others will work out their position in the pecking order. Just like a pack of wolves.

I am not very knowledgable on shepherda in general, but I always suggest a male female pairing to people. They seem to do best in my mind. There are of course exceptions to every rule. If both males were neutered before say 6 months when sexual characteristics start to take over you would probably have better luck. I suppose the temperment of each dog would also play into what would happen. The only two males I have in my house are my 2.5 pound (and that's pushing it) chihuahua stud, and my 40- 45 pound neutered mutt and my chi challenges him every chance he gets. It's funny to watch and the big guy always backs down because he's a big baby. I would probably be on edge though if both of them were strong powerful working breeds like GSD's.

I'm not sure about how 2 females would do.
We have a female GSD and she doesn't tolerate ANY breed of females at all. We have a male GD and never had any problems with her around him or the beagle male we had. She's been raised around females, and spayed but she doesn't like them at all. I think 2 males would fit together better. Just my opinion
smile.png
Congrats!!!

BTufts- Is your male solid black? My girl is, but I've never seen another.

Back
Top Bottom