just starting out and want to know if its better to buy chicks or incubate eggs. these will be my fi

littlekatzz

Songster
8 Years
Jan 23, 2012
I dont need a lot of chickens as its just hubby & I. Hatcheries tend to have a high min order. And im not in a rush to be collecting eggs. I think it might be fun to hatch eggs and I have a couple friends with incubators so thats also a option. Im also not sure if I want a mixed breed flock of mutts or a few select breeds or just one breed. Whats a good starting number for a begginer flock? I also have five dogs and three cats who would love to eat any leftover eggs.

Six is a good number. (I just pulled that out of my hat - I originally started with 8 and I live alone.)
lol.png

I currently have three pet quality grey call ducks and am ordering 15 more in a few weeks. but as to chickens is it better to have banty or regular sized? slowly,but surely im building a small hobby farm...or at least a personal petting zoo lol.

It's really personal choice, chicks vs. hatching. For small batch chick orders you pay a shipping premium, but with hatching, half your hatch will be roosters.

Not all hatcheries have a minimum order. I ordered mine from chickensforbackyards.com. They only have a 3 chick min. I ordered 4 and the shipping was kinda high, but I was expecting that since i knew with that few they'd need a warmer. I only ordered 4 and set it for delivery in March. I'll get them on March 7th-ish.

Back
Top Bottom