just starting out and want to know if its better to buy chicks or incubate eggs. these will be my fi

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by littlekatzz, Jan 23, 2012.

1. littlekatzz

littlekatzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2012
    I dont need a lot of chickens as its just hubby & I. Hatcheries tend to have a high min order. And im not in a rush to be collecting eggs. I think it might be fun to hatch eggs and I have a couple friends with incubators so thats also a option. Im also not sure if I want a mixed breed flock of mutts or a few select breeds or just one breed. Whats a good starting number for a begginer flock? I also have five dogs and three cats who would love to eat any leftover eggs.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Six is a good number. (I just pulled that out of my hat - I originally started with 8 and I live alone.)
    [​IMG]

3. littlekatzz

littlekatzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2012
    I currently have three pet quality grey call ducks and am ordering 15 more in a few weeks. but as to chickens is it better to have banty or regular sized? slowly,but surely im building a small hobby farm...or at least a personal petting zoo lol.

4. midwestchickenwrangler

midwestchickenwrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    I agree with 6 chickens. You will get about 3 eggs a day and a whole lot of enjoyment out of 6 hens. I started with 6 myself and the chicken math took over...24 total to date.

5. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    It's really personal choice, chicks vs. hatching. For small batch chick orders you pay a shipping premium, but with hatching, half your hatch will be roosters.

6. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Not all hatcheries have a minimum order. I ordered mine from chickensforbackyards.com. They only have a 3 chick min. I ordered 4 and the shipping was kinda high, but I was expecting that since i knew with that few they'd need a warmer. I only ordered 4 and set it for delivery in March. I'll get them on March 7th-ish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by