Keeping ducks warm in the winter

Bird freak TA

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2021
I need some tips for keeping my 2 Indian runner ducks warm in -30.
I have a heated water and the entire pen has hay on the ground but they are still really cold.
Any ideas?

I need some tips for keeping my 2 Indian runner ducks warm in -30.
I have a heated water and the entire pen has hay on the ground but they are still really cold.
Any ideas?
Do they have an enclosed area with at least three walls and a roof to protect from cold? If they get too cold, you could hang a heat lamp.

Do they have an enclosed area with at least three walls and a roof to protect from cold? If they get too cold, you could hang a heat lamp.
They have an insulated dog house full of hay and outside of it is a large enclosure with half of it with a roof and the other half open also full of hay if that makes any sense. I’m trying to avoid a heat lamp because of fire hazard and electricity.

Birds huddle together when cold.. doesn't help you much this winter, but before next maybe get a few more so they can use each others body heat?
I have a stand heater/ hot plate for ducklings or chicks while they're in the brooder, got it at tractor supply and it puts out a good amount of heat with no fire risk.

Straw would be more insulating than hay. Are they able to get out of the wind and stay out? With the runners, they prefer to huddle in sheltered areas when it's too cold. I never recommend a heat lamp as it is too much of a fire hazard. But, if they are able to stay out of the wind and hunker down, then they should be fine. Can you get some straw bales to place around the run as a wind break or do you have tarps placed to keep wind off?

Straw would be more insulating than hay. Are they able to get out of the wind and stay out? With the runners, they prefer to huddle in sheltered areas when it's too cold. I never recommend a heat lamp as it is too much of a fire hazard. But, if they are able to stay out of the wind and hunker down, then they should be fine. Can you get some straw bales to place around the run as a wind break or do you have tarps placed to keep wind off?
I was contemplating putting tarps around the outside. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom