Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

What’s been going on here? Well, after the Sausage pen debacle, truck troubles, and varied mechanical hiccups... we should be getting that all sorted out within the week. FIL is buying us the parts (he has given his bank account to BIL for the time being) and we have a friend coming out for the installation (we are missing a couple Tools for the install). I have forgiven my FIL for the situation he encouraged us to get into here (coming to the farm to “help with the farming” and how that has gone sideways) we all thought it was a good decision at the time and there’s just no way to know how a family will react to attempts to help. We jumped in with both feet, so we are as much if not more responsible for this mess as anyone else. I have also forgiven him for all the disparaging comments on our lack of biological children.

FIL has gone into palliative care at a local hospital for Pancreatic Cancer. The last three months since his return from Cuba have been a quick decline in his health. There have been accusations, screaming matches, and drama aplenty going on with DH’s aunts and one cousin over this and with FIL over the finances of the Farm. We are taking things day by day, but plan on staying through to October/November at the least.

The aunts and cousin want Andrew to divorce me (we are common law and had our 10th anniversary in 2019, though we don’t really celebrate it) for his health and well being. They literally said this to him. One benefit to this... we are not welcome to help with the Haying this year, and I have to say I have never seen anyone trying to Hay in the rain before. It has rained almost every night since they began. Much nicer than last year when we were expected to help, use our own truck, and our loading “crew” consisted of just me 90% of the time (there usually a driver, stacker and two loaders per truck). I am not welcome to handle the cows (unless an udder needs checked and for “some reason” the cows won’t tolerate them getting near them) This hurts, because I really love the cows and I certainly don’t agree with their handling and husbandry methods (ie: “some reason”).

My Uncle (Mom’s younger brother) bought my Mother a plane ticket to come “visit” him, back up north, for a month as a birthday present. I don’t know if she will be coming back. Incidentally she is stranded in Calgary for two days as her phone clock didn’t automatically update while in airplane mode on the flight and she missed her connection because of the time zone difference. I told her to enjoy the hotel bed, bathroom, and restaurant... I miss hotels (even the crummy ones are like a full resort to us now). So at least she has escaped the s*** storm here and even has an indoor and clean bathroom for a while.

DH is working Three jobs (two paying ones and the abattoir here), not counting the Sausage/egg delivery. I can’t even manage to land one steady job I can commit to, with the hours I have to put into my chickens, and (I love this line) “we didn’t want to interview all the applicants, so we just hired the first person that put their application in” which is part of the most unprofessional rejection letter (after much follow up) I have ever encountered!

I still have my garden at the other farm, which is going well, the Chickens are all basically happy and healthy. FIL’s friends have offered to put the house up as a death gift to him. I’m not so sure this is going to pan out, and will be willing, once legally able to (as the wife of someone with a legal interest in the property) to get it done myself if we chose to stay on. Tomorrow is a feed run with our friends truck (for all of us) a dump run for him, and some other essentials. We do have the support and love within lots of the community here. And again we are doing ok.

Not wanting this to sound like a pity Parade, because there are so many things more important going on right now, worldwide, socially, and in our Friends lives... but I wanted to make sure I updated all my dear Chicken friends on what’s going on, why I’m not on as often as I would like, and what our plans are for the future. And no worries, as there is no eminent fear of divorce in my future despite Family pressure, lack of children, or even due to chicken math! (Don’t count them... I might be a couple over the “limit” but I’m thinking of claiming Sammy and friends as feral ;)). And now I need to get back to said chickens before there’s a full on revolt “Mommy, we want our fresh grass already!”
I am, metaphorically speaking, speechless! What does one say to people like this? Oh, Kris! After all your hopes & hard work ~ not to say financial input. I so hope it works out in the end & the mess is just that ~ mess. Hugs for you. There's plenty for you as well as Sue! :hugs :hugs :hugs

What’s been going on here? Well, after the Sausage pen debacle, truck troubles, and varied mechanical hiccups... we should be getting that all sorted out within the week. FIL is buying us the parts (he has given his bank account to BIL for the time being) and we have a friend coming out for the installation (we are missing a couple Tools for the install). I have forgiven my FIL for the situation he encouraged us to get into here (coming to the farm to “help with the farming” and how that has gone sideways) we all thought it was a good decision at the time and there’s just no way to know how a family will react to attempts to help. We jumped in with both feet, so we are as much if not more responsible for this mess as anyone else. I have also forgiven him for all the disparaging comments on our lack of biological children.

FIL has gone into palliative care at a local hospital for Pancreatic Cancer. The last three months since his return from Cuba have been a quick decline in his health. There have been accusations, screaming matches, and drama aplenty going on with DH’s aunts and one cousin over this and with FIL over the finances of the Farm. We are taking things day by day, but plan on staying through to October/November at the least.

The aunts and cousin want Andrew to divorce me (we are common law and had our 10th anniversary in 2019, though we don’t really celebrate it) for his health and well being. They literally said this to him. One benefit to this... we are not welcome to help with the Haying this year, and I have to say I have never seen anyone trying to Hay in the rain before. It has rained almost every night since they began. Much nicer than last year when we were expected to help, use our own truck, and our loading “crew” consisted of just me 90% of the time (there usually a driver, stacker and two loaders per truck). I am not welcome to handle the cows (unless an udder needs checked and for “some reason” the cows won’t tolerate them getting near them) This hurts, because I really love the cows and I certainly don’t agree with their handling and husbandry methods (ie: “some reason”).

My Uncle (Mom’s younger brother) bought my Mother a plane ticket to come “visit” him, back up north, for a month as a birthday present. I don’t know if she will be coming back. Incidentally she is stranded in Calgary for two days as her phone clock didn’t automatically update while in airplane mode on the flight and she missed her connection because of the time zone difference. I told her to enjoy the hotel bed, bathroom, and restaurant... I miss hotels (even the crummy ones are like a full resort to us now). So at least she has escaped the s*** storm here and even has an indoor and clean bathroom for a while.

DH is working Three jobs (two paying ones and the abattoir here), not counting the Sausage/egg delivery. I can’t even manage to land one steady job I can commit to, with the hours I have to put into my chickens, and (I love this line) “we didn’t want to interview all the applicants, so we just hired the first person that put their application in” which is part of the most unprofessional rejection letter (after much follow up) I have ever encountered!

I still have my garden at the other farm, which is going well, the Chickens are all basically happy and healthy. FIL’s friends have offered to put the house up as a death gift to him. I’m not so sure this is going to pan out, and will be willing, once legally able to (as the wife of someone with a legal interest in the property) to get it done myself if we chose to stay on. Tomorrow is a feed run with our friends truck (for all of us) a dump run for him, and some other essentials. We do have the support and love within lots of the community here. And again we are doing ok.

Not wanting this to sound like a pity Parade, because there are so many things more important going on right now, worldwide, socially, and in our Friends lives... but I wanted to make sure I updated all my dear Chicken friends on what’s going on, why I’m not on as often as I would like, and what our plans are for the future. And no worries, as there is no eminent fear of divorce in my future despite Family pressure, lack of children, or even due to chicken math! (Don’t count them... I might be a couple over the “limit” but I’m thinking of claiming Sammy and friends as feral ;)). And now I need to get back to said chickens before there’s a full on revolt “Mommy, we want our fresh grass already!”
I wish I could hug you for real. :hugs :hugs

I appreciate that you are willing to be so open and honest.

The hay is definitely a bright side. Please tell me they are not planning to store the wet hay indoors. That is very dangerous. If it is those bales which you leave in the fields, ok then. I always despised doing hay but I made good money doing it.

Just post when you can. We are here to listen if nothing else.

:hugs:hugs

What a nightmare. If anyone can get something positive from this mess, it's you.

I’m awful with the linking thing (nudge, nudge if anyone wants to link to any of them, feel free) but for anyone here that isn’t on all those other threads we’re spread out over (and I honestly don’t remember which one most of your updates are on!)

I think most of Bob's ( @rjohns39 ) posts are on Ribh's https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ribhs-dcoopage.1295189/ thread , with a sprinkling on MJ's https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mjs-little-flock.1334809/ and ByBob's https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fluffy-butt-acres-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/

That sounds very emotionally and physically tangled. ☹

I'm sorry that you have to put up with such a hostile family in law. It sounds like FIL is not very good at long term planning. I hope his end-of-life care and passing goes smoothly and easily for him. Condolences to Andrew. :hugs and hugs to you :hugs

I hope that you will keep in contact here with us even if you need to rehome the chooks and move from the farm. My chooks have adopted you as an honorary Auntie and they would miss you...and so would I! 💑

Gosh, I really admire your spirit to be so positive with all that mess going on around you. Big hugs :hugs :hugs And remember, this too shall pass.

Back
Top Bottom