Kristen’s Chickens and Farming Ventures

Hi, I know it’s been a while... but I’m still here, promise! Have been very busy with the Chickens, our House build, and getting prepped for winter. I will have some house pictures coming soon, and thought I Should pop in with a chicken update as well. I’m currently caring for 149 birds.

My second batch of meat birds this year isn’t going as well as the first, and nowhere near as well as last year’s. I’m guessing it’s due to the difference in breeds. 2019’s were red rangers, and performed like CX but more hardy, active, and well... red. My first batch this year were “western rustics” and much slower growing with more size variance between the cockerels and pullets. This most recent group “Sasso’s” are smaller, less hardy, and I have lost 2 to health problems (one presumed heart attack in the second week, and a recent cull due to a very bad crop issue). I have 4 hold backs for breeding from each group in with Roostie, my Western Rustic “rescue” from 2019. (I should probably just pay the previous owner for him, as hatching eggs from him are looking to be slim pickings).

Chicken rustling seems to be my newest hobby. I have been (at various times) semi-accused of “stealing” the chickens from the farm coop here. I prefer the term “rescuing”, but I suppose it depends on how you look at it. Well, I actually did recently liberate some chickens from another farm. I snuck in under the cover of darkness, plucked his three remaining hens from the roost, and drove them home to keep Chickie Hawk company. All with permission :p but it sure looked like a heist if you were watching!

I am treating Roostie, my giant meat bird Rooster, for some severe bumblefoot that he managed to hide. He always walked a little funny due to his size, so I didn’t notice anything amiss until he suddenly developed a pronounced limp. Today is day two of treating him, and I am going to let the foot I’m treating improve before I start in on his other foot. Yes, he managed to get bumbles in both feet. I believe it is both size and weather related. We may end up being long term pedicure buddies as a preventative measure in the future. I count myself lucky that he is so gentle and sweet. He seems to know I am helping him, even when I’m sure what I’m doing is causing some pain. I really wish I had access to some antibiotics for him, or a vet. If anyone is interested in his progress I could try to get some pictures, but I warn you, it has been quite the revolting process.

With fall coming I hope to be online a lot more and hopefully I will have some good updates in the near future

Hi, I know it’s been a while... but I’m still here, promise! Have been very busy with the Chickens, our House build, and getting prepped for winter. I will have some house pictures coming soon, and thought I Should pop in with a chicken update as well. I’m currently caring for 149 birds.

My second batch of meat birds this year isn’t going as well as the first, and nowhere near as well as last year’s. I’m guessing it’s due to the difference in breeds. 2019’s were red rangers, and performed like CX but more hardy, active, and well... red. My first batch this year were “western rustics” and much slower growing with more size variance between the cockerels and pullets. This most recent group “Sasso’s” are smaller, less hardy, and I have lost 2 to health problems (one presumed heart attack in the second week, and a recent cull due to a very bad crop issue). I have 4 hold backs for breeding from each group in with Roostie, my Western Rustic “rescue” from 2019. (I should probably just pay the previous owner for him, as hatching eggs from him are looking to be slim pickings).

Chicken rustling seems to be my newest hobby. I have been (at various times) semi-accused of “stealing” the chickens from the farm coop here. I prefer the term “rescuing”, but I suppose it depends on how you look at it. Well, I actually did recently liberate some chickens from another farm. I snuck in under the cover of darkness, plucked his three remaining hens from the roost, and drove them home to keep Chickie Hawk company. All with permission :p but it sure looked like a heist if you were watching!

I am treating Roostie, my giant meat bird Rooster, for some severe bumblefoot that he managed to hide. He always walked a little funny due to his size, so I didn’t notice anything amiss until he suddenly developed a pronounced limp. Today is day two of treating him, and I am going to let the foot I’m treating improve before I start in on his other foot. Yes, he managed to get bumbles in both feet. I believe it is both size and weather related. We may end up being long term pedicure buddies as a preventative measure in the future. I count myself lucky that he is so gentle and sweet. He seems to know I am helping him, even when I’m sure what I’m doing is causing some pain. I really wish I had access to some antibiotics for him, or a vet. If anyone is interested in his progress I could try to get some pictures, but I warn you, it has been quite the revolting process.

With fall coming I hope to be online a lot more and hopefully I will have some good updates in the near future
Thanks for the update, Kris! You have been missed & it is so good to get your news. :fl for Roostie.

It's great to hear from you Kris, thanks for the update.

I hope the house build continues smoothly. Sending "get well soon" vibes to Roostie. You are a great chook nurse and it looks like he knows it! 🐓💊💉👱‍♀️

So good to hear from you Kris. So many updates it's hard to pick one to comment on. Let me just say I'm glad you are doing well.

I do love a good heist. :D

Thanks everyone for bearing with me this year, it’s been a bit of a wild one for sure... I really don’t know where to start in catching up on everyone, but I’m glad to finally get enough down time to get back on!

Some other little fun moments that were missed include the Free Range Chickens disconnecting my solar power one day (ok it wasn’t a great connection to start with but the pecking the wires didn’t help it any) and I now have the “joys of nest hunting”. It is amazing how well they can hide their eggs. I think a couple more layer tractors are in my near future.

Thanks everyone for bearing with me this year, it’s been a bit of a wild one for sure... I really don’t know where to start in catching up on everyone, but I’m glad to finally get enough down time to get back on!

Some other little fun moments that were missed include the Free Range Chickens disconnecting my solar power one day (ok it wasn’t a great connection to start with but the pecking the wires didn’t help it any) and I now have the “joys of nest hunting”. It is amazing how well they can hide their eggs. I think a couple more layer tractors are in my near future.
So good to have you back - I have missed hearing about your adventures. And I really, really want to see pictures of the house!

Back
Top Bottom