Large, Open-Air Coop in Central NC

Pics
DH took the day off and has done wonders already.

Alas, he needs different screws, has to get certain tools back from our son (who has *almost* finished converting a carport into a bedroom (including doing vinyl siding), needs to charge the battery on his best drill/driver (they have you over a barrel with the price of extra batteries for cordless tools!), and has discovered the need for several more 2x4s. $$$OUCH!$$$

0513211423.jpg

The thing he's leaning on is the support for the nestboxes.

0513211425.jpg

We expect this to finish out at very nearly 4 feet of overhang after trimming the joists even. The upper 2x4 is the top of the wall and the gape between that and the 2x6 will be hardware cloth.

0513211425_HDR.jpg

And this is the 4-foot storage extension. You can see the south(ish), facing clerestory above the joists.

I'm really thrilled with the way it's coming together.

He did a little more work that didn't require the impact driver:

0513211712a_HDR.jpg

0513211712_HDR.jpg

That's the floor of the nestboxes. They will be 12" deep and about 16" wide since we decided on 3 between each support instead of 4.

Not sure what to do about these gaps between the boards. We don't want to use our precious plywood when we have this salvaged "barnwood" for non-structural items.

0513211711a.jpg

The chickens won't care, but I don't want to have the bedding constantly falling out.

He did a little more work that didn't require the impact driver:

View attachment 2667740

View attachment 2667742

That's the floor of the nestboxes. They will be 12" deep and about 16" wide since we decided on 3 between each support instead of 4.

Not sure what to do about these gaps between the boards. We don't want to use our precious plywood when we have this salvaged "barnwood" for non-structural items.

View attachment 2667744

The chickens won't care, but I don't want to have the bedding constantly falling out.
Wood putty is cheap😉 then seal it and call it good, or even silicon

Wood putty is cheap😉 then seal it and call it good, or even silicon

I don't want to use anything the chickens might peck at and eat.

L:eave them. Will help keep the bedding dry and won't hurt ventilation. Every once in a while drag a rake underneath - its good compost. Or let it there, and dig it out with a shovel after its composted.

I'm not concerned about the small cracks, but I don't want to be losing a lot of nestbox bedding through the ones I can put my finger into.

It's a dirt floor set up for Deep Litter so fallen bedding isn't an issue, it's just that I want the bedding to stay in the box for the hens. :D

Back
Top Bottom