Lavender Orpington Thread

Hi, I purchased some pencil lace Orpington on eBay over a year ago. Out of the 6 eggs only one female hatched. Since then I have been searching for more of this strain of Orpington, without much luck. The closest rooster I could match to my pullet was a Isabel Lavinder lace Orpington, I have obtained 2 young roosters for next season. Some pictures will follow shortly.

Upper right a LO roo or hen? Around 6-7 weeks.

Lower left is a Blue Isbar.

This one looks roo-ish to me, but not certain. I can't tell about the others. They could be female.

Each line has their own "tells" My 1st lav orps would show subtle diffs like slower feathering on the males. Males also had stumpy tails & porcupine backs, while their sisters looked feathered. They had me gender guessing for 3 months.

With my current ones, the feathering means nothing. It's all about the wattles. At 4 weeks, my males get pink combs & by 5 weeks their wattles drop.

By 6-7 weeks I have:

Last edited:
x2 on the pink toes. They almost always turn gray as they mature. I can't say exactly when, but none of mine have pink toes as adults.

What do you look for on the head to guess male or female? Is it comb color? I've had some with gray skinned combs vs those with light skinned combs.

Its just a working theory, just my own observation that I'm trying to see if it holds true, but the males seem to have a more football shaped, elongated head, like stretched back toward the neck, at less than a month or so, where the females tend to be more round. Again, I have no idea how accurate it is, but it has seemed to hold true for me so far.

Looks male by comb/wattles, and compared to your #2, but has a round head, so this one splits my theory! lol
I still say cockerel.

#2 LO roo or hen? 6-7 weeks.

female

#3 LO roo or hen? 6-7 weeks old

And thank you!

male

hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom