lethargic 9 week old

tabithas

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 7, 2012
Denver, Colorado
I got two EE's about a week ago. One is fine, the other has done some open mouth breathing ever since we brought her home. Not all the time, mostly in the evenings when she is relaxed. Up to today she has been eating, drinking and active. Today she is sitting seperate from the other chickens with her feathers kind of fluffed up and not moving around much. Not interested in eating or drinking. I lost two younger chicks for unrelated reasons (one at 4 weeks, one at 6 weeks). They are all still inside right now as the coop is not finished. the are on pine shavings and have access to fresh water and medicated chick starter at all times. Am I doing something wrong? These are my first chickens and at this point I'm about ready to just give up and give them away if they keep dying on me! Any suggestions with what to do with this sick one? She is still "gasping" once in a while. No nasal discharge that I have seen, no sneezing. She does sometimes shake her head or scratch at her face. Help please!

Sorry you are having these problems. I'm new to chickens myself but had to deal with a sick pullet several weeks ago. In my case, I ended up going to the vet because I had no idea what was wrong with her. The vet gave her antibiotics and I think that saved her life. I would suggest keeping a close eye on her to determine if her droppings look unusual or there are any other symptoms. If she doesn't improve, maybe you could try to find a vet that knows something about chickens.

Back
Top Bottom