Limping 2 1/2 week chick, Mareks? HELP PLZ!

My buff orpington chick started limping this morning, I've checked her foot and didn't see and swelling. Although it is turned inward slightly. Could she have sprained it? My chicks where not vaccinated for mareks, I didn't know that till after I bought them. How soon could they get that?

I don't think its bumblefoot, I don't see any swelling. She does not like to put weight on it and is lying down a lot because of it. Here poop is solid and she is eating and drinking ok. I lost three when I got them and I don't want to lose another.. If you have any idea what it could be or advice on what I could do to help her or signs to look for, Please feel free! Thanks in advance!
-click cluck

I doubt Marek's would show up this soon, and it's not usually a concern if you buy hatchery chicks.

What could be happening is a delayed genetic disorder or a tendon that's beginning to slip. Read this https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html and see if any of your chick's symptoms match up. If it's a tendon, you need to get right on it or it can become untreatable.

If you don't see any signs of a slipped tendon, it could be a genetic neurological disorder. You can treat it with vitamin E400iu and a sliver of selenium given each day until the symptoms improve. For good measure, throw in some B-1 or B complex. These vitamins are sometimes in shortage in some chicks causing problems with balance and walking.

I doubt Marek's would show up this soon, and it's not usually a concern if you buy hatchery chicks.

What could be happening is a delayed genetic disorder or a tendon that's beginning to slip. Read this https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html and see if any of your chick's symptoms match up. If it's a tendon, you need to get right on it or it can become untreatable.

If you don't see any signs of a slipped tendon, it could be a genetic neurological disorder. You can treat it with vitamin E400iu and a sliver of selenium given each day until the symptoms improve. For good measure, throw in some B-1 or B complex. These vitamins are sometimes in shortage in some chicks causing problems with balance and walking.
I will look into what you have suggested, Thanks! And btw is mareks very common?

Unfortunately, yes, Marek's may be the second most common avian virus, second to lymphotic leucosis. That's not saying that it's as common as the human cold virus, but it occurs often enough that it's wise to have chicks vaccinated. There is no vaccination for LL, the other virus, and there are a number of respiratory viruses that can also strike a flock.

The best way to guard against all of these viruses is to never wear the shoes you wear to go shopping at the feed store in your coop and run as you can bring home viruses in this manner. You should also not invite other chicken owners over to visit with your chickens, nor should you go visit their flocks. These precautions can reduce the risk to your flock tremendously.

Make sure that your chick vitamins contain riboflavin or B2. You can also use crushed B complex or give PolyVisol baby vitamins 2-3 drops daily. I like Poultry Cell vitamins as well.

Unfortunately, yes, Marek's may be the second most common avian virus, second to lymphotic leucosis. That's not saying that it's as common as the human cold virus, but it occurs often enough that it's wise to have chicks vaccinated. There is no vaccination for LL, the other virus, and there are a number of respiratory viruses that can also strike a flock.

The best way to guard against all of these viruses is to never wear the shoes you wear to go shopping at the feed store in your coop and run as you can bring home viruses in this manner. You should also not invite other chicken owners over to visit with your chickens, nor should you go visit their flocks. These precautions can reduce the risk to your flock tremendously.
I am very sorry to here it is so common. Mine are not vaccine. Is there a way I can still do that? I really hope I don't lose any. Thanks for the shoe advice!

If you have other chickens, and if the chicks have been near them, then it's too late to vaccinate. If the chicks have been isolated inside your home, then you can get the vaccine and give it to them, but they need to continue to be kept away from other chickens for a few more weeks afterward. Ask at your vet or feed store. It needs to be kept refrigerated so shipping can be tricky.

Many of us that have wild turkeys hanging around our property do not bother to vaccinate for Marek's as the turkey population carries a mild form of the disease that is in the soil. Exposure to this mild form can impart resistance to the deadly form chickens get. So far, those of us who have wild turkeys haven't had Marek's in our flocks, that I've heard, anyway.

If you have other chickens, and if the chicks have been near them, then it's too late to vaccinate. If the chicks have been isolated inside your home, then you can get the vaccine and give it to them, but they need to continue to be kept away from other chickens for a few more weeks afterward. Ask at your vet or feed store. It needs to be kept refrigerated so shipping can be tricky.

Many of us that have wild turkeys hanging around our property do not bother to vaccinate for Marek's as the turkey population carries a mild form of the disease that is in the soil. Exposure to this mild form can impart resistance to the deadly form chickens get. So far, those of us who have wild turkeys haven't had Marek's in our flocks, that I've heard, anyway.
I will look around for a vaccine, Someone had told me that they can only have it in the first 24 hours, after that you cant give it to them ( the hatchery told me that). But from what you said you can! Thank you!

It might just be a slight sprain. I've hatched many baby Homing Pigeons that are sore and gimpy for a day or 2, could be from how they slept if they were under another chick, it happens. I'd keep an eye on it, hopefully will be fine in a few days and it's not a tendon issue.

About clothing...having separate clothing from head to toe is not only smart but it helps keep your "good clothes" staying nice. I have what I call my "chore clothes" and that includes shoes that never leave my property. It isn't as hard as it may sound, once you get used to the routine. I have a corner of my mudroom/laundry room where I hang my chicken jacket, and keep my chicken boots and shoes. I bought a kitty litter tray at the dollar store, just a plastic thing deep enough for Oxine and for me to step in it.
Here is some good info: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2016/08/biosecurity-for-backyard-chickens/

It might just be a slight sprain. I've hatched many baby Homing Pigeons that are sore and gimpy for a day or 2, could be from how they slept if they were under another chick, it happens. I'd keep an eye on it, hopefully will be fine in a few days and it's not a tendon issue.

About clothing...having separate clothing from head to toe is not only smart but it helps keep your "good clothes" staying nice. I have what I call my "chore clothes" and that includes shoes that never leave my property. It isn't as hard as it may sound, once you get used to the routine. I have a corner of my mudroom/laundry room where I hang my chicken jacket, and keep my chicken boots and shoes. I bought a kitty litter tray at the dollar store, just a plastic thing deep enough for Oxine and for me to step in it.
Here is some good info: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2016/08/biosecurity-for-backyard-chickens/
I think she might have a sprain as well. I've observed her and she has stretched both legs and they seemed to be fine. She still limps a bit but is eating and pooping fine haha. But I will keep checking up on her. I like the cloths idea, I will do that thanks!

Back
Top Bottom