LOOKING TO BREED A SAINT BERNARD

MrAngus

Hatching
Apr 25, 2016
Hello I have a 1.5 year old St Bernard...he has the best personality I have ever seen, Great with children and other animals...He has no papers but he is a pure bred. I would like to find a female for him to carry on his blood line...I ask only for pick pup if interest pls email me @ shelleyl66@hotmail.com I am not a breeder but this gentle giant needs to live on If I cannot find anyone I will have to have him nurtured and that would be a shame if you would like to see pics of him they can be made available

thanks in advance

Does he have any health testing? Becausw I hate to say it but the greatest personality in the world really doesn't mean anything if he is going to pass along bad hips or eyes or any other defects. You wouldn't want to pass on defecta and have the pups suffer whether now or later on. Often health problems, like hip dysplasia, may not even show up to old age when it's too late. You should take him to a vet and have him tested, at least the basics. Hips, eyes, ears, elbows that stuff. And have you thought about how you, or the owner of the female, are going to find homes or what you will do if you do not find homes for them? You really should have homes lined up before breeding. I hate to be a downer but these are all things you need to think about before breeding. There are already so many unwanted pets in the world. No reason to make more unless he is truly exceptional. Speaking of which, you need to, or should, make sure the female is exceptional or a good match too and really shouldn't just breed him to the first female you find. If she does not have a good temperament then it's possible the pups won't either, even if he has the greatest temperament, as the pups are half her and half the father. Again, sorry, don't mean to be a downer but you really should think about this and plan things out before just breeding him to amy female. Also, dogs really should not be bred until at least 2 years old. It's less of a concern with males I think than females getting pregnant but still. Many health problems don't occur till after maturity, often 2 with large dogs. Speaking of which, I just remembered, the hip tests they can't even take final pictures and grading until 2 anyways and it is better to neuter as late as possible for big dogs anyways so that is plenty of time to do some research and have him tested, find homes for the puppies, and find the right female. Oh and you need to watch them, sometimes it is not as easy as just throwing them together and letting them mate since sometimes the female won't have it and they can fight. And what if there are complications with the birth? That likely won't affect you since you don't have the female but they may want you to help pay since it could add up, as can food and vaccinations for at least 8 weeks until the puppies can go home. Again, you only have the male so less responsibility potentially, but there is still a lot you, as the owner of the male, need to think about and plan out before having puppies. It is not as simple as throwing 2 random dogs together and hoping for the best because he has a "good temperament." There is a lot to think about. Again, don't mean to be a downer, and not saying you can't breed but PLEASE. At least do some basic research and planning.

Back
Top Bottom