Lying down outside in snow?

dowgirl71

Songster
9 Years
Oct 25, 2012
Brewer, Maine
I'm a little worried about one of my BRs. I saw her sitting down on the cold ground, today. She seems fine, other than that, but I just wondered if she may be doing it because her feet were cold or if it may be something more. I haven't noticed anything else unusual, but I'm just concerned because I just lost one, earlier this week. The one that died was at the bottom of the pecking order, got injured this fall, and never did start laying. So, she may have had more health issues going on than I realized.

She may be feeling a bit under the weather, which is understandable in cold weather. Just keep checking on her, maybe keep her in a warm place like inside the coop under a heat lamp, or someplace else where she feels calm and comfortable. Right now I don't think you need to isolate her or anything like that.
And make sure she doesn't dehydrate!

Thank you, darwinchooks for the suggestions. I did put them in for a while this afternoon, after I saw her sitting outside, the first time. We were supposed to get substantial snow, this afternoon, but it hasn't started, yet and it's now after 9pm. The sun actually started to come out for a while, so I let them back out, again, but they are in for the night, now. She acts pretty normal, except for the sitting outside-always perks up when I come out, especially with treats. Her appetite is good. Like I said, I already lost one on Tuesday. It would be awful to lose another. They are "my girls" and both have names, Gossie and Gertie.
smile.png

Gertie seems to be doing much better, today. I am very relieved! Both of my girls spent the day inside their coop, because we had a "rip, roaring" blizzard today. Have about 3-4 foot drifts of snow around their house, but they were happy and warm inside. Also got an egg from each of them. What's the weather like where you are?
smile.png
Kim

I'm happy to hear she's okay! Our weather is the exact opposite to yours...hot, sunny and humid. Gotta make sure I top up the water in the chicken run!

Back
Top Bottom