Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

WOW, your egg thief must be something else. In my 40 years of BYC's, I have never seen a lock on the outside door of a nest, especially one requiring you to go inside to unlock. Great looking birds and nest too. Very secure, LOL.

Sorry I missed all the fun. Why would it ever get to the point of removal of a thread. So childish of those that caused it. As for Marans, they should be able to be shown in both poultry and hog shows. Never saw such a pig of a chicken. I use to be able to free feed and refill my 6 - 40 pound feeders once a week. Now I have to limit how much feed I put out since the blue marans not only eat a lot, but also scatter the rest of the feed in the feeder. Thinking seriously about segregation, at least the marans.
PS: too bad the thread can't be viewed. My advice though, if you have to bikker, get a wife, LOL.
BYC Support: aren't you glad you sent me an email asking me to revisit the site?

Sorry I missed all the fun. Why would it ever get to the point of removal of a thread. So childish of those that caused it. As for Marans, they should be able to be shown in both poultry and hog shows. Never saw such a pig of a chicken. I use to be able to free feed and refill my 6 - 40 pound feeders once a week. Now I have to limit how much feed I put out since the blue marans not only eat a lot, but also scatter the rest of the feed in the feeder. Thinking seriously about segregation, at least the marans.
PS: too bad the thread can't be viewed. My advice though, if you have to bikker, get a wife, LOL.
BYC Support: aren't you glad you sent me an email asking me to revisit the site?
First of all, "missed all the fun" - I will assume there was some sort of trouble on this thread over the weekend? In that case, making a comment such as "missed all the fun" certainly doens't help. Just sayin'.

Secondly, unfortunately, it does happen that threads need to be locked or even removed from the forum if things spiral out of control. The way to get it back on track is to report it. It's confidential, and reports are viewed by all Staff members - thus, you have a good chance it will be addressed in a very timely manner.

Okay, stepping down off my moderator box now...

Stoo, you goin' to Newnan? What about you, Don? Anyone else??

Last edited:
Ok everyone a little help :)
I'm throwing in the towel for my search of mature hens or close to it BCMs Now my question is...where should I get my chicks from? They don't carry locally so which hatchery? Thanks

Ok everyone a little help :)
I'm throwing in the towel for my search of mature hens or close to it BCMs Now my question is...where should I get my chicks from? They don't carry locally so which hatchery? Thanks

Where are you? Have you posted on your state's thread? If you don't mind having them shipped, you can get eggs from good lines here, on the 'buy hatching eggs' thread.

First of all, "missed all the fun" - I will assume there was some sort of trouble on this thread over the weekend? In that case, making a comment such as "missed all the fun" certainly doens't help. Just sayin'.

Secondly, unfortunately, it does happen that threads need to be locked or even removed from the forum if things spiral out of control. The way to get it back on track is to report it. It's confidential, and reports are viewed by all Staff members - thus, you have a good chance it will be addressed in a very timely manner.

Okay, stepping down off my moderator box now...

Stoo, you goin' to Newnan? What about you, Don? Anyone else??
Wynette, I believe the poster was commenting on the original thread being locked and that was many months ago.

My White Marans has decided to give me an Egg. Here they are:

So the left 2 eggs are from her, her first 2. The Right egg is from my BCMs coop, they've decided to start laying again as well. I find it odd that they are the same color. Apparently my BCMs are laying way too light.

My White Marans has decided to give me an Egg. Here they are:

So the left 2 eggs are from her, her first 2. The Right egg is from my BCMs coop, they've decided to start laying again as well. I find it odd that they are the same color. Apparently my BCMs are laying way too light.
If you like the "type" that you have in your birds, look for males from really dark eggs. Using a good male out of darker eggs can help you work on the egg color of the next generation. It is a never ending progress, but that is what makes it soooo much fun. Thankfully we can work on improvements in chickens quicker than in cattle. We don't have to wait two years for an female to mature and then wait another nine months to see what we can produce. We can test the progeny within a year and start over if we need to. We can swap males that we are using as many times as we need to within a year. Just breed, hatch, watch, cull, and make decisions based on what your program produces.

Good Luck,
Ernie Haire
Arp, Texas
www.Marans2XL.com

Back
Top Bottom