Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I meant to post a photo yesterday, but forgot. We talked recently on egg shape and etc, Here's a Birchen Marans egg I collected yesterday and while the egg color still needs more work, (no surprise there) but am loving the work that's been done on culling for egg shape. They also have a nice sheen to them, so this year will be focusing on the depth of color as well.

I meant to post a photo yesterday, but forgot. We talked recently on egg shape and etc, Here's a Birchen Marans egg I collected yesterday and while the egg color still needs more work, (no surprise there) but am loving the work that's been done on culling for egg shape. They also have a nice sheen to them, so this year will be focusing on the depth of color as well.

Very nice- so what number would you give it from the egg chart?

Very nice- so what number would you give it from the egg chart?
this hen lays right at a four and the eggs are darkening a bit more each day as she's coming back in cycle. One of the hard things about the Birchens is that they seem to lay really long bullet shaped eggs, so decided I wanted to work on the shape, and then be able to really focus on color. Its hard working on Shape, Color and Texture (sheen) all at the same time. I have another hen that is related to this one and she lays a nice 5 close to a 6, but is broody at the moment.

These are two of my Marans eggs. That dirty one came from a new layer who just didn't make it to the box. :) Busy with new hatches and a few new acquisitions. Trying to keep up with my threads but.... too many things in the Spring to keep track of.

Very nice egg color there Ash !

I'm not sure about where this comment is referring to, but maybe is meant for the original poster? I can't remember posting a photo of a Roo for a while, but then again, time goes so fast, maybe I did hahah

I think they are referring to that beast of a splash Roo in your avatar !

haha too funny, why didnt I think of that? He's a splash copper marans

Yep,,, that's the beast I was referring to....LOL..... Gotta love him ! What's his name again ?

Last edited:
Hope everyone has a great weekend! Looking forward to finally having a weekend off from work, but will be staying plenty busy around the place. With the nice temps, I'm sure the birds will love it too!

This is my French black Copper Marans roo, named Silas. I was wondering if he is looking like a good breeding roo. When he was a chick, he didn't have any white on him, and even had some brownish black fuzz to go with his black. Now, he has tons of orange, maybe too much? I recently lost my FBCM hens to a predator attack and he is left. I am trying to decide if I should keep him for the new batch of chicks or get rid of him and use one of the roos that show up with the chicks. What do you all think?

Back
Top Bottom