Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

It has always been my understanding that the eggs with spots are normally lighter on the egg scale that the eggs with no specks. This has always been true with my Marans.
Is this because the darker spots indicate an incomplete "spray painting" of the darker pigment? This has been my experience also...lighter background shade with dark spots.

hey i just had a crappy experience, I had to go to a different store to buy my feed this week, mainly because i didn't feel like driving totally in the opposite direction just for that.

while i was there i saw someone come in and ask for chicks so I inquired about whether they were interested in buying some chicks to sell,

so they called over the store chicken person. Then she started telling me that she never buys local because all the local birds are disease ridden, and the farms are too close together and besides nobody local can tell her what breed they have...

I felt about 2" high....
sad.png
all she had to say was that they aren't really interested.

so i mentioned that i know exactly what breeds i have, they are black copper and blue copper marans, and wheaten marans, so she said Oh, do you have cuckoo marans so i answered nope sorry and then she said Oh so you just have regular marans...!!!!
th.gif

just needed to get that off my chest, I guess it's her loss because nobody else locally has Marans.

Last edited:
Don't you just love dealing with know-nothing feed store personnel?
duc.gif
Who thinks they know it all. Don't let it get you down, like you said, their loss, and probably lost a feed customer as well.

Just got a thrill and almost disaster! I had the chickens locked in the coop because of all the ice and snow. I decided to open their coop door to let them out for a little while. Ten minutes later I hear Louie crowing and the girls squawking to the high heavens, I looked out the window to see what all the ruckus was about and low and behold there was a huge fox fixing to enter the door with Louie standing his ground to protect his flock! I bolted for the coop sock feet and tee shirt in three inches of snow and ice hollering to the top of my voice. The fox took one look at this crazed human and took off. He will be back I'm sure. He will be putting his life on the line next time!

Just got a thrill and almost disaster! I had the chickens locked in the coop because of all the ice and snow. I decided to open their coop door to let them out for a little while. Ten minutes later I hear Louie crowing and the girls squawking to the high heavens, I looked out the window to see what all the ruckus was about and low and behold there was a huge fox fixing to enter the door with Louie standing his ground to protect his flock! I bolted for the coop sock feet and tee shirt in three inches of snow and ice hollering to the top of my voice. The fox took one look at this crazed human and took off. He will be back I'm sure. He will be putting his life on the line next time!
Thanks for the image...hope all ends well.

Show winning does not mean they are good birds.....
Thank you for such a profound statement! As a newbee to chicken breeding this is a very welcome thought to keep in mind when viewing birds at shows. We bought a rooster who won ribbons, a very beautiful bird who is not perfect but still a good starter bird for our purposes. I am sure it will take quite a while before we produce something we can feel comfortable to compete with.

Back
Top Bottom