Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Hi group, I just recently bought a black copper marans hen from a reputational breeder that just turned 6 months. I was thinking that she may not be a true black copper marans. The reason I ask this is because she isn't showing the copper on the head and neck areas. Maybe she is a black marans?!?!

Thanks, your time and help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JD

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I was hoping you could help me look through my potential boys and help me decide who looks good and who doesn't. They're only about 12 weeks old amd I realize that it's really early but if we can narrow it down a little, it might help.

Boy #1

Boy #2

Boy #3

Boy #4

I personally am partial to boy #1 but he does have very heavy leg feathering. Even a little on his middle toes. #s 2 and 3 seem to have way too little leg feathers. #4, I have mixed feelings about so please, what are your opinions?

Hi group, I just recently bought a black copper marans hen from a reputational breeder that just turned 6 months. I was thinking that she may not be a true black copper marans. The reason I ask this is because she isn't showing the copper on the head and neck areas. Maybe she is a black marans?!?!

Thanks, your time and help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JD
Often pullets don't show copper. She is still a copper as she carries the genes and SHOULD NOT be breed or sold as a black..... genetically she will not make blacks.

Thank you... I find myself wondering what I missed our should have noticed. It's hard to only count 3 each night. I never thought I would get attached to a chicken much less love one. Much harder than I ever anticipated.

Hey Guys! I usually just follow the posts here once in awhile and stay quiet. I have a few FBC Marans in my flock and decided to pick up a couple more from someone who purchased eggs online and hatched them. These birds are a favorite of mine not just for the dark eggs, but also for the friendly personalities they seem to have. Even my 2 adult roos are gentle giants here.
Anyway, here are my newbies . . .

1 Splash (sex undetermined), 2 Blue Copper pullets, and a Blue Copper cockerel -

FBC cockerel. His 2 nearly identical siblings (also cockerels) didn't want to stand still long enough for pics -

Hope you guys are experiencing better weather than we are (in Michigan) today! It's windy, rainy, and the temps are dropping fast.

Hey everyone. I was hoping you could help me look through my potential boys and help me decide who looks good and who doesn't. They're only about 12 weeks old amd I realize that it's really early but if we can narrow it down a little, it might help.

Boy #1

Boy #2

Boy #3

Boy #4

I personally am partial to boy #1 but he does have very heavy leg feathering. Even a little on his middle toes. #s 2 and 3 seem to have way too little leg feathers. #4, I have mixed feelings about so please, what are your opinions?

Bump

Back
Top Bottom