Marans With Featherless Legs?

I would do that if they were available in the US. I know or know of a lot of the breeders in the US and Canada. Unless someone corrects me on this, I believe I've had the largest number of black Penes in North America for several years.
So many people have pairs, trios or perhaps 10 or so birds. I think the fact that I've forsaken all other breeds in favor of these has allowed me to focus on them. In the course of a year I will range from 40 to well over 100 birds. I'm down to one primary rooster for the first time thanks to coyotes but I have almost 20 cockerels that are 4 months old. I hope to never get that low on good quality roosters.
My preference is for single breed chicken keeping. I did have two separate tribes here, one Marans and one slightly dubious Old English Game. An idiot with an incubator put paid to that.:he
:confused: Now I get what I get and learn to like it.

The UK Marans also come in black and white while the French will tell you that 'proper' Marans only come in black with feathered legs.
If one is going to be fussy about breed standards it's often best to get birds from the country of origin.
Not true, France recognizes several colors of Marans, including Black, White, Black Copper, Wheaten, Birchen, and I think Blue.

Not true, France recognizes several colors of Marans, including Black, White, Black Copper, Wheaten, Birchen, and I think Blue.
I'll let you tell the French who keep Marans this.
It is true the the standard for what it's worth accepts various shades. However, if you cross the border into France and speak to the locals there is a type of snobbery, for want of a better description about what is, and what isn't a Marans. They don't really care what someone says is allowed for shows etc. To them, the Marans is black with feathered legs.
It's much like the Catalana del Pratt and the Black Minorcans closer to where I live.
There is some pride taken in the local breeds which often have qualities that people who set breed standards don't accept.
In general it's not to be taken too seriously.

I'll let you tell the French who keep Marans this.
It is true the the standard for what it's worth accepts various shades. However, if you cross the border into France and speak to the locals there is a type of snobbery, for want of a better description about what is, and what isn't a Marans. They don't really care what someone says is allowed for shows etc. To them, the Marans is black with feathered legs.
It's much like the Catalana del Pratt and the Black Minorcans closer to where I live.
There is some pride taken in the local breeds which often have qualities that people who set breed standards don't accept.
In general it's not to be taken too seriously.
I love Minorcas. I had whites. They are slightly smaller than blacks but still a big stately bird. Have you ever seen blues?
Just for a bit more light hearted view on the topic. When the eggs were ordered from France for the first batch of Marans that lived here, the breeder asked if we wanted proper French Marans or something they would sell to the English.:lau
That's a good one.

I don't think there are any blues in the US. Whites used to be fairly common but disappeared. I think I found one of the only people that still breeds them. Blacks are pretty common here - as far as Spanish breeds go.
ETA
I misspoke. The buff is the other breed that may be here but blues are only in the UK.

Typical French!
I think it's a local thing for many nationalities. This standardizing of breeds just wasn't about when the breeds first came into being. If you are into showing birds I suppose it becomes important to adhere to some SOP.
It's a bit like Rottwielers with respect to the fact that proper Rottweilers have tails but someone in an office somewhere decide they looked better without.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom