March 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Explain to him that it is your duty as an animal lover to make sure as many as possible (chicken math) have good, loving lives, and your the person who can best make sure it happens! :lau
Chicken math is truly a thing! (And a struggle!).

If the eggs had been viable I was going to use the excuse that it was the only opportunity for my beautiful Hedemora to pass her genes on but it wasn't to be. Now I'll wait for fall and see if I can con (I mean convince 🤥) him into letting me hatch some more to "help his friend". His friend lost a few to predators last year so I really need to help him get his flock numbers back up. 😉 It is the friendly thing to do when they haven't had successful hatches and if a hen or two joins my flock at the same time it can't possibly be my fault that they want to stay!

Last edited:
I’ve been late at posting sorry, but we end up with three out of five chicks on the weekend - two little black ones on Saturday and a yellow one on Sunday. The yellow one we had to help out and then wash as it was extremely sticky and had a lot of membrane stuck so it couldn’t really move - it’s doing great now though. Of the other two, one didn’t make it to lockdown and the other just never pipped, not sure what happened.

Today is hatching day for the Guineas - so far two of six (including the one that quit around day 14) have hatched well, another has half hatched but is so weak I am not confident it will make it.

Here are the five that have hatched so far!
C2145D3D-8B01-496E-8AA2-A12DFBFF794E.jpeg

Here are the guineas:
09BD4E25-F93D-4510-8B5D-BE59E147F0C2.jpeg

Chicken math is truly a thing! (And a struggle!).

If the eggs had been viable I was going to use the excuse that it was the only opportunity for my beautiful Hedemora to pass her genes on but it wasn't to be. Now I'll wait for fall and see if I can con (I mean convince 🤥) him into letting me hatch some more to "help his friend". His friend lost a few to predators last year so I really need to help him get his flock numbers back up. 😉 It is the friendly thing to do when they haven't had successful hatches and if a hen or two joins my flock at the same time it can't possibly be my fault that they want to stay!
See, you got this! 🤣

The weird little egg didn’t make it. DIS ☹️ I did an eggtopsy - poor baby was fully formed, was going to be a white crested polish…I think its big vaulted head was just really smashed into that small shell and it couldn’t turn to pip. RIP little one.

At least I have 7 healthy, adorable babies!
2 araucanas from beautiful turquoise eggs
1 black copper marans from a BIG egg
1 Isabella Leghorn
2 porcelain/speckled Leghorns
1 mystery chipmunk babe that survived being dropped in the egg!

Pics tomorrow when they wake up

Hi everyone. I didn't think so but can anyone tell me if the egg turner in the Nurture Right 360 has anything to do with the number of days? Today should be day 3 but it's still on day 4, the only change was the egg turner came unplugged. I left it unplugged because I didn't realize it still said day 4 this morning and I've already removed the turning rack and put down paper towels and didn't want it to start turning again.

Back
Top Bottom