March Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Happy to announced that all my eggs had hatched (12 chicks-10 Black Copper Marans & 2 IC Bars) day 22 yesterday, except the 3 that I couldn’t candle, still in the incubator at friend’s house(friends 13 eggs only 3 hatched). So I’m pretty excited with the outcome.

They are all healthy and robust, even the 2 that I had to assist hatching since the membrane got dried out and stucked to the chicks (semi-shrink wrapped) I had to damp them with warm moist paper towel to loosen and freed. The 2 ice cream bars all hatched very relieved since theyre my rare ones. View attachment 1704649View attachment 1704651
Congrats! Are both your ICB pullets? Mine hatched 1 cockerel and 1 pullet.

I’m not sure how can I tell, I don’t know how to vent sex
The ICB are supposed to be autosexing, males have a yellow spot on their head and females are solid.

FFE637C0-821D-4ACB-9907-FD94BF4FC066.jpeg

View attachment 1705285 View attachment 1705286 Oops posting from my cell sorry for the above error

So here is a pic of the new hatchlings under the mama heating pad in my jacuzzi. When I lift the pad they look around but they seem really sleepy. I know they don’t have to drink and eat because they are freshly hatched but I just want to make sure you all think they are ok.

I’m going to go set up the premiere heat plate now. Stay tuned

So cute under the mama heating pad! I’m sorry to hear about your shipped chicks. Hope your hatchlings do well.

I’m still crushed that I only had 2 of 12 hatch. I don’t have room for more chickens but maybe I’ll have the courage to try again once I can build a bigger coop. I think I’ll get a better incubator though, I would love to have a Brinsea.

I’m hatching bantam Orpington shipped eggs. At least there are supposed to be bantams. The eggs are almost as bigs as my Ee’s .

So far day on day 7 I had 13 of 18 still growing. Plus a silkie, and a silkie mix. Three of those never developed and looked shaken up and two blood rings. When I left one of the shipped eggs looked very iffy on the veins ( looked a bit smeared ) but I will know when I get back in town. They will be on day 14 then. What does saddle cell look like?

So, Ive always bought my chicks local and they are usually running around eating drinking and going in and out of the mama heating pad. Should I be concerned that my freshly hatched chicks are just kinda laying under the heat, taking a few pecks at food but not really drinking? Are they just tired and haven't perked up yet?

It takes newly hatched chicks a couple of days before they start exploring beyond their heat source. This is the same as if they were under a broody hen or stuck in a shipping box. They have everything they need from their yolk sacs and are still getting used to breathing, walking, seeing etc. They look clear eyed and alert in your photo.

@Hurley congratulations on the Exchequer Leghorn chicks. They are so beautiful.

Ok last clearing candle done. Have left at least 7 moving white breese, 4 moving swedish flower hens, 2 mosiacs, 2 iffy one white breese and one don't remember breed of, very doubtful on either of those. Also left 1 in that was due yesterday as it's very full looking but no movement seen. Will be day 21 on the 21st. Officially raising humidity tomorrow. Removed from cartons.

Back
Top Bottom