Medications for Cecal Worms In Poultry

Do you have any pictures of the worms in the droppings? Just wondering how you know they are cecal worms? Most worms are not easily seen except for roundworms and tapeworms. Dawg53 is a real expert on worms and treatment.
The old adopted hen was put down after seeing, and taking a sample of, the cecal worms. She had what looked like very red, raw, bulges on her bottom, and the cecal worms were crawling out of her vent. They were all a half inch long, and crawling. Looked as though she had them for quite some time. Will never adopt another stray hen!

Do you have any pictures of the worms in the droppings? Just wondering how you know they are cecal worms? Most worms are not easily seen except for roundworms and tapeworms. Dawg53 is a real expert on worms and treatment.
The old adopted hen was put down after seeing, and taking a sample of, the cecal worms. She had what looked like very red, raw, bulges on her bottom, and the cecal worms were crawling out of her vent. They were all a half inch long, and crawling. Looked as though she had them for quite some time. Will never adopt another stray hen, regardless if it was in the Winter, and neighbors were begging us to take her in!

I'm wondering if it were maggots, called 'fly strike'? Worms dont leave their host by crawling out of the vent unless they are excreted, no matter the wormload.
The old hen did have a dirty behind, which is why we cleaned, and noticed the redness, and worms. She became sick very quickly after we noticed these. There were flies all around her, just before we put her down. If these were maggots, then would our laying hens be susceptible to them? Thanks.

The old adopted hen was put down after seeing, and taking a sample of, the cecal worms. She had what looked like very red, raw, bulges on her bottom, and the cecal worms were crawling out of her vent. They were all a half inch long, and crawling. Looked as though she had them for quite some time. Will never adopt another stray hen, regardless if it was in the Winter, and neighbors were begging us to take her in!
Regretfully did not take pics, but just googled pics of maggots on hens, and they do look like them.

The old hen did have a dirty behind, which is why we cleaned, and noticed the redness, and worms. She became sick very quickly after we noticed these. There were flies all around her, just before we put her down. If these were maggots, then would our laying hens be susceptible to them? Thanks.
"Flies all around her" sounds like fly strike to me. I seriously doubt your other hens wouldve been effected. The only way to tell though is to closely and thoroughly inspect 'hands on' each hens rear end. Smell would be a dead giveaway too.
I think your old hen was too far gone to help her. Good luck with your inspection and let us know if you see or smell anything out of the ordinary.

Regretfully did not take pics, but just googled pics of maggots on hens, and they do look like them.
"Flies all around her" sounds like fly strike to me. I seriously doubt your other hens wouldve been effected. The only way to tell though is to closely and thoroughly inspect 'hands on' each hens rear end. Smell would be a dead giveaway too.
I think your old hen was too far gone to help her. Good luck with your inspection and let us know if you see or smell anything out of the ordinary.
Definitely will do! Thank you! You may have saved us from worming our hens for months in a row, and relocating where they free range due to egg drop. Should we worm our hens a few times a year anyway? They are molting now so won't worm until finished molting, if need be.

I wouldnt worm them during molt, they are under enough stress as it is.
How often you worm your birds depends on your soil conditions. Wet warm moist soil would require frequent wormings. Dry soil, sandy soil or cool/cold mountainous soil would require less wormings. Birds kept on the same ground would require frequent wormings.
Either way, it's best to worm birds just prior to spring. Keep this in mind...springtime is worm time.

I wouldnt worm them during molt, they are under enough stress as it is.
How often you worm your birds depends on your soil conditions. Wet warm moist soil would require frequent wormings. Dry soil, sandy soil or cool/cold mountainous soil would require less wormings. Birds kept on the same ground would require frequent wormings.
Either way, it's best to worm birds just prior to spring. Keep this in mind...springtime is worm time.
We live in Southeastern Canada, just on the border of Northeastern Maine. They free range on grass, but have a few places where they take mud baths. The mud is cool, and dry, this time of year. So if our hens are now molting, and Spring has passed, we should worm them next Spring? Thanks again!

We live in Southeastern Canada, just on the border of Northeastern Maine. They free range on grass, but have a few places where they take mud baths. The mud is cool, and dry, this time of year. So if our hens are now molting, and Spring has passed, we should worm them next Spring? Thanks again!
Yes, worm them just before it warms up. Springtime is when everything comes alive from the cold winter...including worms. You guys probably have a late spring, April or May? Down here, our spring starts usually in February, sometimes March. It's really a non issue for me since I worm monthly due to our warm and wet soil conditions most of the time grrrr.

Back
Top Bottom