Medications for Cecal Worms In Poultry

Yes, we do have a late spring. :( Good for our hens, as far as worms go, but we would prefer your early Spring. Our Summer season is so short! Thanks again for your great advice, and time! Have a great day.

I am glad that Dawg has helped you, and I also thought maggot or flystrike when you described your hen’s vent. I have never dealt with it, but it is always a good practice to clean any poopy vents in warm weather. There are always a couple in my flock who have them. That can help prevent flystrike, but if there is an injury or wound, it can also occur.

I am so happy that Dawg helped me, too! We couldn't imagine why the flies were around the old adopted hen that last day, but now it sure all fits together. She was the only hen with the poopy vent, but I will surely keep an eye out on our laying hens from now on. Thanks for our advice, too!

Many times hens will suffer a prolapsed vent. It is red and sticks out attracting pecking. Or they get pecked around the vent and that becomes red and bloody or infected. Then mix those up with some poop getting stuck, and it is prime for flies, and then maggots. There are a bunch of BYC threads to read about flystrike with pictures, and here is a good article about it:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Many times hens will suffer a prolapsed vent. It is red and sticks out attracting pecking. Or they get pecked around the vent and that becomes red and bloody or infected. Then mix those up with some poop getting stuck, and it is prime for flies, and then maggots. There are a bunch of BYC threads to read about flystrike with pictures, and here is a good article about it:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/
Good to know, and a very good read. Thanks again.

Great advice from Eggcessive as always.
I take care of poopy butt by using the spray nozzle on my garden hose. I just cradle the hen backwards in my arm and use my other free hand to spray her rear end. It's real easy to do. Of course in winter time I bring the hen inside the patio and use a container of warm water and an old rag to clean them off...wearing disposable gloves too lol.

I wouldnt worm them during molt, they are under enough stress as it is.

Just gonna hijack briefly. Is worming stressful? Just worming my girls and only one is still laying. I figured it was change in food (premixed, in food wormer for a week), and/or the stress of being rehomed twice in a week finally catching up with them. But sounds like it could also be the worming? They were pretty wormy.

OP, sorry you lost your rescue hen. Sucks when you try to help an animal out only to find previous neglect had gone on for too long and you can only help by ending the pain. Poor girl.

Just gonna hijack briefly. Is worming stressful? Just worming my girls and only one is still laying. I figured it was change in food (premixed, in food wormer for a week), and/or the stress of being rehomed twice in a week finally catching up with them. But sounds like it could also be the worming? They were pretty wormy.

OP, sorry you lost your rescue hen. Sucks when you try to help an animal out only to find previous neglect had gone on for too long and you can only help by ending the pain. Poor girl.
Just about everything is stressful to a chicken...any reason to stop laying, right? LOL.
I'd love to have a stressful hen due to change of feed or being rehomed twice...rather than a belly full of worms. Worms sap the life out of their hosts. Worm excrement is toxic to the host and enough of it can kill the host, not to mention the degradation of the hosts immune system. Yeah, that's stressful.

Just about everything is stressful to a chicken...any reason to stop laying, right? LOL.
I'd love to have a stressful hen due to change of feed or being rehomed twice...rather than a belly full of worms. Worms sap the life out of their hosts. Worm excrement is toxic to the host and enough of it can kill the host, not to mention the degradation of the hosts immune system. Yeah, that's stressful.

It's just that they had got into a nice routine, laying daily right up to the second day of worming. Even the one with vent gleet. The wormiest was laying shell less eggs, so hoping the worming will help with that. Just seems odd that they were laying so well and then I wormed them and poof, just one laying.

But if worming has added an extra stressor, even if just temporarily, and removing a stressor, then it makes sense. They're all doing normal chicken things. The two that wouldn't roost are even roosting now. Hopefully they'll ease back into a nice routine now the first course is over, and maybe the second course won't hit them so hard.

If you want to give them an excellent probiotic, much better than yogurt, get some buttermilk and mix it with plain boiled white rice. Make sure the rice has cooled. Then give it to your chickens kind of runny with the buttermilk and watch them scoff it up.
Buttermilk mixed with rice helps control diarrhea as well.

Back
Top Bottom