Mice eating chickens.

settingdusk

Songster
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Hampton Roads, Virginia
I just thought this was neat. While cleaning a garage next door we stumbled upon lots of baby mice that were just start to walk around. Rather then just kill them I unleashed the chicken horde upon them. To my surprise they went bonkers over them. I have heard they eat mice I just hope they are okay eating the entire thing.

I thought you meant mice were eating your chickens.

Yep, pinkies are delicious to chickens.

I have seen chickens tear apart a frog one of them found.Then the rest of them rushed in. It was like a pack of wolves. They are very opportunistic eaters. I'm sorry to say but was very entertaining.

I actually witnessed one of my hens with a full grown mouse, smack it against a log a couple times, and then throw it back and swallow it whole!

OK....that's enough of that. I hope I never witness my chickens do anything like that! I am not a fan of rodents but I really don't want to see them get eaten whole by a chicken! Or get pecked to death....
But Hey! Thanks for sharing that story and giving me a heads up, in case they ever come across a mouse in the yard!

My OEGB will tear adult mice up, I ue to have problems with mice under the chicken feeders. I used water to flush them out and the chickens would kill em, if not the cat would at least catch one that got away. In winter time at night mice will sometimes sleep with chickens to keep warm. It isn't mice to worry, its rats! Rats love chicken feed and cause alot of problems including eating baby chicks. Allways make sure to look for large dug outs and if dogs try to sniff around areas where rats could hide in, I do suggest placing a rat trap up.

Chickens will eat anything. Little feathered dinosaurs is what they really are!
wink.png

~ Aspen

Back
Top Bottom