Michigan Chickens: Stories of our Flock

Chickeng1rl567

Songster
May 26, 2020
Michigan
Hello! I have many fun stories of our backyard flock. We have 5 hens and 3 pullets right now. We’ve raised chickens for over 5 years now. Our flock has had many adventures, from notorious escapees to lost chickens, bullies, misplaced eggs and more! Let’s start by introducing 2 members of the flock:
CE26DFB2-A95B-4364-91AE-98B887CE89CC.jpeg
AFCE3BF8-B5CC-4A79-A76F-6EE26D89371C.jpeg

Grandpa Chook, the 5 year old Black Austrolorp hen.
Grandpa is the alpha hen. She is the loudest and chattiest bird of our flock. She has the most beautiful iridescent plumage. She never hesitates to surprise you with how well she can fly to escape dispite her large size.
52B7759B-4FC5-4413-A641-2AF896A2D12E.jpeg
A5C72B0F-FF67-4E58-B65F-FF15A9A0F454.jpeg

Blackbird, the 5 year old Black Sex Link.
Blackbird is high in the pecking order, right under Grandpa. She was always loyally at the side of her best friend Pumpkin, until Pumpkin passed away. Her favorite thing to do is sunbathe and dirtbathe. She also like to fly up on the table while you are eating a snack and try to peck it away from you.

I will feature the rest in later posts!

Hi there, I'm in Michigan too! Perhaps this can be a new thread that really focuses on raising/caring for just the Chickens! I'd like hear stories of how raising your flock in Michigan has gone for you thus far. I have a flock of 8 and about to reduce to 6😩 here is a pic of my everyday sunshine.
20200706_114617.jpg

He's investigating the hardware cloth going up in the run. Unfortunately I recently noticed he has transformed into a cockerel 😭

Ok today’s funny story...
One day, we had been getting a lot of hawks around the house so we put the hens in a temporary run instead of free range. At lunch, we came out to check on them and found we had an escapee! Grandpa Chook was dirt bathing by herself in her favorite spot. Grandpa is the last hen we would expect to be out in the yard because she is our oldest hen at 5 years old and she is the biggest heaviest hen we have. To this day we have no idea how she managed to get out! I will also introduce another chicken in my flock..
22C49EB6-5CC0-4975-85E7-A80796ACCFEB.jpeg
97786C06-6F15-4274-A4D8-28E79933FBBF.jpeg

Mischief, the 3 year old Plymouth Rock
Mischief is quite the personality. She used to instigate all kinds of shenanigans when she was a pullet, and still does today. Her best friend is Wonder Woman and they are always side by side.

Hi there, I'm in Michigan too! Perhaps this can be a new thread that really focuses on raising/caring for just the Chickens! I'd like hear stories of how raising your flock in Michigan has gone for you thus far. I have a flock of 8 and about to reduce to 6😩 here is a pic of my everyday sunshine. View attachment 2244468
He's investigating the hardware cloth going up in the run. Unfortunately I recently noticed he has transformed into a cockerel 😭
He’s gorgeous! I’m sorry about your flock downsizing.

Beautiful ladies. I look forward to hearing their stories. I have 2 ladies that are very similar to yours.

Lilly, my alpha hen who is over 6 years old
20200706_192855.jpg

And Sydney
20200610_133711.jpg

I also have a flock of 8 destined to go to 6 as I have 2 chicks that Sydney hatched and is raising that cannot stay because of capacity issues. One is also clearly a boy.

Sounds like Grandpa still has some adventure left in her! My little Maisel who is Barnevelder, is always doing random things like that. She just goes walking off on her own all the time, like shes too cool to stay with the flock. Doesn't care that everyone is bathing together, she wants to find a better spot all to herself. :cool:
Sorry @BY Bob to know you have to rehome some babes. What is the best way to go about this, what has worked for you rehoming Roosters? That is such a Sydney! Love her expression:love

Beautiful ladies. I look forward to hearing their stories. I have 2 ladies that are very similar to yours.

Lilly, my alpha hen who is over 6 years old
View attachment 2244808

And Sydney
View attachment 2244814

I also have a flock of 8 destined to go to 6 as I have 2 chicks that Sydney hatched and is raising that cannot stay because of capacity issues. One is also clearly a boy.
Lilly and Sydney look like very nice chickens! I also noticed the the corn in the corner to bribe Sydney into a photo, and I do the same thing, it works every time lol!

Back
Top Bottom