Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Ugh. I am sick to death of bad broody hens. Gave a 2nd timer a chance with eggs and she did what she did last year: sit on the egg until they hatch and then kill the chicks once they were out of the shell. I caught her before she did much damage this time and took the chick and remaining eggs away. Last night my 1st timer Ameraucana pullet mutilated one of her chicks and killed it. She is now in isolation for a few days to protect the remaining chicks (the other broody in that coop seems to be doing a good job so far although I did find another dead chick in there with no obvious injuries this afternoon.) I have 3 broody silkies and 2 are doing well but the other just did a repeat if the previous batch she hatched out: kicks the chicks out after 1 day and it got too cold last night and died with no mama to keep it warm. The previous hatch it did that on I caught the chick before it was too far gone and managed to save it.

I just don't understand why HALF of my Broodies are doing such an awful job of things!!

Hiya everybody! Here's a joke-
Q:
How do chickens bake a cake?

A:
From scratch!:cd

Here's our little troublemaker, Jeanine, sitting in the flower garden.

And here's Buttermint, our sweet EE

I'm so sorry Raz! That sucks. I'm praying for you!:hugs

Last edited:

My 8-week-old buff-laced polish cockerel named Bowie. I'm hoping he'll get better lacing as he matures more, but he is by far my friendliest chicken :)

Last edited:

My 8-week-old buff-laced polish cockerel named Bowie. I'm hoping he'll get better lacing as he matures more, but he is by far my friendliest chicken :)

Oh my goodness, skinny dragon, he's so cute! And Bowie is such an adorable name! :yiipchick

Are bantams good? I've read up a little bit on them being aggressive as they get older, but I would just like to know.

-Jeym

Wow, I'm axed that people are still on the forum this late at night! The neighbors next door are being so loud, so I can't sleep. I love your profile picture, Amy!

-Jeym

I'm lurking late, too. I like byc reading before bed. :) i'm usually in much earlier, but a full day today. I am making the final push to get the stuff for my bathroom. For those who weren't here last year i bought a gutted falling apart trailer in town and have been sleeping tbere and showering/eating elsewhere. Winter it was all i could do to keep the endeaver going, spring i got the job of a lifetime. So now i've been buying what i can at the habitat store, and unfortunately much will be new on the cheap end of things. My credit has inched up to house loan status, so if i can get this place to an un-condemned state in a year i will be house hunting :) chickens have to stay at family's for the time being. I look foreward to the day i have them by my porch!

Sadder news, i gave dh "the word" to put junior down this afternoon. Not aggressive, but hen crazy in a bad way. Over blue's hens. Started the range time almost flying into their window glass, then chased hens down 3 times in half an hour for straying a few feet from blue. Not pretty and i saw some heat exaustion in the hens after, blue too from trying to get his big butt over to their side. :( Junior was showing obvious signs of going the same way as his daddy. I am immensely sad but he is getting worse; i had hoped he'd grow gentler with age (almost a year; blue is maybe a month or two older.)

On my post I accedentaly wrote "I'm axed" when I meant to say "I'm amazed".

I'm sorry to hear that, fuzzy. It's awful to lose a chicken for any reason. Whereabout in Michigan do you live?

Back
Top Bottom