Mixing chicks with hens?

Hi all! I'd have a heat lamp ( and possibly a portable heater) and hiding places of course, shavings and/or straw for bedding. We are weighing options and we're leaning towards more of a pen in our unheated garage (we were originally thinking stacked cages), but we'd like to create more of a natural and enriching environment. The children would get to interact with them and care for them more easily too (we have a large family of varied ages).

We've debated several options. For pen material. We have pet gates, hardware cloth, etc. It's a cement floor, we thought maybe we could just section off a corner. I kind of want to see if I can make something at little to no cost. Basic.... Maybe rudimentary.

Another thought I had was using an old wooden twin bedframe with a plywood bottom we no longer need. It's Approx. 40*80 inches. I'm considering wrapping, and covering, the upper portion in plastic (wire) hardware cloth or cage panels (we have several large indoor rabbit cages) , with zip ties.

I could devide it. I just like the idea of a big area with big feeders. Right now it's all feeling a little "finicky".

For that many chicks you need *at least* 60 square ft (preferably 120 square ft) for raising them, five times that once they are big. If you're gonna mix them, you need to make sure that the little ones have a place they can get to that the big ones can't, with both food and water so they aren't prevented from eating and drinking. Having the heat source there would probably also be a good idea, since the 6 week olds won't need it.

Back
Top Bottom