More feed questions!

aineheartsyou

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Dixie, WA
My feed store does not supply any waterfowl feed. their choices are chicken, flock and game bird. I picked up purina flock raiser, will I have to suppliment niacin with this? after two weeks can I mix in some sort of grain to lower the protein and use it as a grower? once my girls are ready for layer will I need to suppliment niacin with layer feed?

Good questions, but I don't know those answers. I think you would still need to add some niacin to the water or feed.

Quote:
I can't find it now. But I know somewhere someone posted something about a good niacin and a not so good niacin that can be bought at your local pharmacy. Also, I think you could substitute brewers yeast.

Last edited:
I used flock raiser for the first 3-4 months. I added niacin the first 3 weeks to their water. Around 16 weeks I changed to chicken layer.

I use game bird feed because I also have quail. I also give them whole grains free choice and they get veggies
big_smile.png

I'm feeding flock raiser. It has niacin in it. I still (Like TLWR) added niacin in their water, to prevent spraddle leg. I did however read that purina flock raiser makes the birds fat, and causes foot problems, so I will be switching to Mazuri waterfowl starter. You can mix in grain in a few weeks. I mix in a little bit of dry oatmeal with their food, and they love it, but it also helps balance out their diet.
wink.png

I have the Mazuri Waterfowl Starter for the first couple of weeks, then I will be adding oats to it. I know you can use gamebird starter the same way and it already has the niacin in it.

Since we are talking food here. All my ducks are males. What's a good maintenace feed for them? I can get Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance (expensive but easily gotten), Gamebird Rations, Oats, and of course every feed for chickens.

*DuckLuvR* :

I have the Mazuri Waterfowl Starter for the first couple of weeks, then I will be adding oats to it. I know you can use gamebird starter the same way and it already has the niacin in it.

Since we are talking food here. All my ducks are males. What's a good maintenace feed for them? I can get Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance (expensive but easily gotten), Gamebird Rations, Oats, and of course every feed for chickens.

Mazuri (I think) is one of the best brands out there. If you can get Mazuri maitenence, then I would highly recommend it. For laying hens, however they will need layer pellets (Which mazuri does sell).
smile.png
I sometimes put oats in mine.​

Back
Top Bottom