1. What to do to prevent disease when combining new chickens with old?
2. What does it mean when you can feel the keel bone of your chicken?
3. What does a pale/dry looking comb mean?
4. Do bantam hens do well with regular hens?

I have a silkie and 4 standard hens and for new chickens I would quarantine them to make sure they don’t have any diseases.

1. Quarantine new birds for at least 3 weeks, completely separate from the rest of the flock. This article might help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nderestimated-part-of-raising-chickens.67097/

2. This is the keel bone:
upload_2018-11-9_7-31-0.png

You should be able to feel it very prominent it underweight birds. The keel is used as the ‘scoring’ system for chickens, just like the spine is for sheep.

3. Pale combs are pink or dull compared to a normal bright red comb.

4. It depends. It can be done typically. I used to keep LF and bantams together and the bantams were always at the bottom. Now I just have bantams and they get along well. It’s up to you as long as the bantams aren’t getting bullied.

A lot depends on your set-up, the source and age of "new" chickens and the health of your existing flock.
Best practice if you bring in new birds from a questionable source would be to quarantine them for 30 days and practice strict bio-security between them and your existing flock.

Chicks from a hatchery or that you hatch yourself? I brood those right next to the flock.

Keeping your coop and runs fairly clean, providing fresh nutritionally balanced feed and clean water daily goes a long way in keeping your chickens healthy.

You should be able to feel the keel in most chickens. The best way to know if there is a problem would be to check the body condition as described in the following link.
https://www.dummies.com/home-garden...to-give-your-chickens-a-physical-examination/

Without seeing a chicken, it would be hard to know the answer.
Molting, going broody or being sick are some common causes for a pale, dry comb.

Again, that is hard to answer. It depends on your set-up, how much room you have, your management style, etc. Some people keep bantams and large fowl together no problem others need to keep them separated.

Just general answers to general questions.
My 2¢

Back
Top Bottom