Muscovey pipping question

hg ranch

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 16, 2013
Upstate Ny
I'm on my second attempt at incubator hatching these guys. I can now hear some if the ducklings peeping so clearly they have pipped. How long should they be like this before I worry they are in trouble hatching??

Last edited:
i wait till i can see an indentation in the shell, then i help them a bit by opening only that little cracked part. i only do this as i have a cheapo incubator and worry i have had enough moisture in there. you have to be very careful though, if you remove too much shell too soon they bleed and die.

some people will say its probably safer to leave them to themselves to hatch. like i said, i only do because of my cheapo bator.

I'm still waiting!! Anyone know when I should worry? They are day 36 and pipped and peeping inside but no hatching yet.

Yes!! That has been my bible on this batch of eggs. Its been almost 48 hours since I noticed the first pip. I'm worried they will dry out and get stuck in the egg. I added more water to my incubator in hoping to prevent that. I'm trying to be patient. Will see what morning brings.

Yes!! That has been my bible on this batch of eggs. Its been almost 48 hours since I noticed the first pip. I'm worried they will dry out and get stuck in the egg. I added more water to my incubator in hoping to prevent that. I'm trying to be patient. Will see what morning brings.
I think if it's now been over 48 hrs I'd begin to help. Keep updating please.
fl.gif

I'm thinking I need to do something. I will make a small hole in the air cell end of one and see what happens. Today is day 36.

I'm thinking I need to do something. I will make a small hole in the air cell end of one and see what happens. Today is day 36.
You know it can take up to 37 days so try not to get too anxious. every time you open the bator you risk shrink wrapping the ducklings. But your the one there and can get a better idea of what's going on.
fl.gif

Well so glad I intervened. Three died in shell but I have five survivors!! I think I need to work on my humidity they were pretty dry inside.

Back
Top Bottom