I currently have 3 Muscovies. 2 drakes and a hen. (Any one in NW PA have hens for sale) They are black with white wing spots that become larger the second year. I think that is wild color, but my drake only flies a few feet off the ground. My current female has angel wing, but her mother used to fly a loop from the coop around the pond each morning.

These are my current Muscovy ducks. Milky Way, Whipped Cream and little Lemon with its Indian Runner sister Snickers. I'm hoping Lemon ends up a drake but if not I'll definitely add one plus more females
20210329_141152.jpg 20210329_141111.jpg 20210329_150916.jpg

We rescued 3 Muscovy ducklings over the weekend from someone who had hatched but then couldn’t keep them. They are 5 weeks old and I just love them! Can anyone give me a clue as to their sex? I’ve not had Muscovys before. I’d normally vent sex to make sure I had an Ok M/F ratio but these were too old when I got them.

Attachments

• 7A846E88-3672-4788-B347-A118FF1DD3CC.jpeg
    7A846E88-3672-4788-B347-A118FF1DD3CC.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 6
We rescued 3 Muscovy ducklings over the weekend from someone who had hatched but then couldn’t keep them. They are 5 weeks old and I just love them! Can anyone give me a clue as to their sex? I’ve not had Muscovys before. I’d normally vent sex to make sure I had an Ok M/F ratio but these were too old when I got them.
How old? They are adorable!!

The first hint will be when the boys get larger than the girls. Next will be the sound. The boys will start to huff/hiss. They will stop triling. The girls will continue you make several different noises, but only hiss when agitated.

156423006_430244818082582_8053950923760532028_n.jpg

Ignore the circling, I posted for color help on here, but this is all 12 of my Scovies. My favorite duck breed that I've had by far. I went a little wild last year around here buying colors :confused: I have Chocolate, Chocolate (dark?) ripple, Lilac, I THINK Lavender, one black (split to lavender if I'm right on the lavender), and the one circled in red that I have no clue what she is lol.

140010297_716946439195640_8527383536296782595_n.jpg

2 of my oldest gals, They aren't tame per say, but very docile.

They are still to young to say, but you'll he able to tell soon. If I had to guess I'd say the lighter ones are girls and the darker one is a drake. That's pretty much just a wild guess though.

We started out with 8 Muscovy ducklings. They're all white. They grew up and I sold 4 of them, leaving us with Darkwing (our drake), Daisy, Dilly, and Dally. Well, I thought being in town the ducks would be fine outside overnight. I was wrong. Something killed Dally one night. :(
After that, the ducks were locked up in our shed every night.

Daisy hatched out 10 eggs last year. Only 3 ducklings survived. I ended up selling the babies when they were half grown to a family who wanted backyard ducks.

Then Dilly hurt her foot a couple months ago. I think there might have been an infection on the inside. I tried to heal her but...she died.

Now I just have Daisy and Darkwing.

Daisy is currently setting on 6 eggs. They should have hatched by now...I'm not sure what's going on and I'm afraid to move her off her nest.

Darkwing is amazing. He lets the kids pet him. I can pick him up and, while he struggles a bit, he isn't mean about me handling him. He loves to stand on the top tier of our yard and survey his domain. :gig

They are fun to watch. I agree, they are THE BEST breed of duck.

Daisy and her 3 ducklings (2020)
IMG_20201224_144123547.jpg

How old? They are adorable!!
5 weeks. They are so funny. And so different in personality to my khakis. I’m keeping everything crossed that I don’t have more than 1 boy as I really want to keep them all but I don’t really have space to get more girls if we have a couple of boys

They are still to young to say, but you'll he able to tell soon. If I had to guess I'd say the lighter ones are girls and the darker one is a drake. That's pretty much just a wild guess though.
That’s what I’m thinking too. The dark one is definitely chunkier than the other two. And has a more oval shaped head which I believe is another indication of a boy. 🤞🤞🤞🤞1 more boy will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom