Hi everyone!
I'm currently raising 12 orphaned Muscovy ducklings. They are about 3 weeks old and I'm brand new to all of this. I'm hoping to be able to learn a lot from everyone here.

I full-time in my RV and live in a park where I currently work in central FL. The Muscovy mom and dad were dropped off at the pond at our park this winter. So, they are apparently domestic ducks but have no owner to speak of at this time. The park does feed the ducks that are here (currently 2 pekin, 1 muscovy drake and a bunch or wild black bellied whistling ducks that come and go plus fish, turtles and whatever other birds show up).

The mother duck died when the ducklings were 1-2 weeks old, apparently due to a rough mating session with the Muscovy drake (he's a beast!!!).

So here I am with 12 ducklings that I have fallen in love with. I took them off the pond and create an enclosure for them until they get big enough to go back on the pond.

They are about 3 weeks old now and I'm starting to make guesses at which ones and drakes and which ones are ducks. I'm worried that if there are too many drakes (which I think there are) that I will have to find them other homes. The poor pekin duck on the pond is already having a hard time dealing with the drive that Muscovy drake has.

I also have one that is a runt and is much smaller than the others. He's eating and moving around fine, he's just really small.

So with all that said, I'm happy to find other Muscovy people to learn from.

Thanks!

Bless you for taking them in. In a state that sees them as a nuisance. Not just Fla though many other states as well.
There is a Muscovy rescue in south Fla. might check them out and see if they can take some of the drakes

Bless you for taking them in. In a state that sees them as a nuisance. Not just Fla though many other states as well.
There is a Muscovy rescue in south Fla. might check them out and see if they can take some of the drakes
Thank you! I have sent them a message looking for advice on how to handle this. I have read about how to tell the difference between drakes and ducks but I'm not having a lot of luck knowing for sure which are which. I guess I can only wait until they get older to get a better idea.

My sweet Muscovy hen hatched her first duckling!! I think it’s a Muscovy mix which is cool.
5D0DCF2E-9D3D-42F7-BFEC-3B050EFF0CEB.jpeg
AF213B1C-81E6-4EED-A14A-10740AEADB3A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom