My Dog Is Infested With Ticks!

I also have a tick phobia! Give me ten snakes and I'm fine, but I got a concussion once from finding a tick on me in the shower! Lol, serious! I freaked, slipped and fell, smacked the back of my head on the side of the tub, hello ER! Those micro ticks you found on you are called seed ticks, and the best way to deal with them is to jump in the shower (naked, lol) and slather the nasty little things with Skin-So-Soft or other oil but be CAREFUL not to fall like I did! That smothers them right quick and you can then wash them off with soap and water. I learned this from a relative of mine who is a nurse. It works!

Information is the best defense! Don't drive your car into a ditch! Yes, ticks carry diseases. BUT they have to be embedded on you for about 24 hours before they transmit the disease. So go home, check for ticks, pull them off, and shower. If you find one, get it off with fine-nose tweezers. Grasp it close to your body and pull it straight out. Don't squeeze it! Don't twist.

You can kill it easily with a little blob of Vaseline on a tissue. Stick the tick in the grease while you keep checking for ticks, he's not going anywhere. When you've gotten them all, wad up the tissue and flush it. Very satisfying. He is gone, gone!

Knowing this info has helped me a LOT. I still hate the repulsive little ba... er, buggers, but now I'm in control and don't freak out.

Now, somebody tell me what to do about CHIGGERS!
I'm so sorry that happened but reading this just now gave me a great laugh after a long day 😅. That is absolutely something I would of done. I punched myself in the face once in the shower in a very similar way hard enough to see stars 😂.

And thank you for all the extra info!

I also have a tick phobia! Give me ten snakes and I'm fine, but I got a concussion once from finding a tick on me in the shower! Lol, serious! I freaked, slipped and fell, smacked the back of my head on the side of the tub, hello ER! Those micro ticks you found on you are called seed ticks, and the best way to deal with them is to jump in the shower (naked, lol) and slather the nasty little things with Skin-So-Soft or other oil but be CAREFUL not to fall like I did! That smothers them right quick and you can then wash them off with soap and water. I learned this from a relative of mine who is a nurse. It works!

Information is the best defense! Don't drive your car into a ditch! Yes, ticks carry diseases. BUT they have to be embedded on you for about 24 hours before they transmit the disease. So go home, check for ticks, pull them off, and shower. If you find one, get it off with fine-nose tweezers. Grasp it close to your body and pull it straight out. Don't squeeze it! Don't twist.

You can kill it easily with a little blob of Vaseline on a tissue. Stick the tick in the grease while you keep checking for ticks, he's not going anywhere. When you've gotten them all, wad up the tissue and flush it. Very satisfying. He is gone, gone!

Knowing this info has helped me a LOT. I still hate the repulsive little ba... er, buggers, but now I'm in control and don't freak out.

Ouch! That had to hurt! I'm glad that you are ok now! Skin-So-Soft, can you get that on Amazon? I don't know if I could handle putting something on them. As soon as I know they are there, my automatic response is panic, and try to get it off as soon as possible, forgetting everything else in existence. Earlier this year when I had all those ticks on me, I took a shower and brought tea tree oil with me. I rubbed tea tree all over me, including my hair!
You sound so calm about how you are handling ticks and talking about them. Diseases isn't my concern at all. I'm just plain scared of ticks. When I'm in panic over ticks, disease is last on my mind, it's the tick.
My Mom calls the little ticks deer ticks. She says that those are the most dangerous. Again, disease isn't on my mind, and I'm glad that it's not! If disease was on my mind when I see a tick, who knows what'll happen!

When I take my little dog for a walk and she goes into tall grass or greenery, (doesn't need to be very tall for her :D) I always brush her off with my hands just in case there are any ticks that dropped on her from the plants. My hope is that I brush them off before they can find their way through her fur to the skin. I don't know if it helps but it makes me feel like I am be proactive. I will also brush her off again before going back in the house.

Thank you all for reminding me that it is time for her flea/tick treatment again.

I'm so sorry that happened but reading this just now gave me a great laugh after a long day 😅. That is absolutely something I would of done. I punched myself in the face once in the shower in a very similar way hard enough to see stars 😂.

And thank you for all the extra info!
Oh, come on, we have to hear this story! Details, Woman! We want details!

I
Ouch! That had to hurt! I'm glad that you are ok now! Skin-So-Soft, can you get that on Amazon? I don't know if I could handle putting something on them. As soon as I know they are there, my automatic response is panic, and try to get it off as soon as possible, forgetting everything else in existence. Earlier this year when I had all those ticks on me, I took a shower and brought tea tree oil with me. I rubbed tea tree all over me, including my hair!
You sound so calm about how you are handling ticks and talking about them. Diseases isn't my concern at all. I'm just plain scared of ticks. When I'm in panic over ticks, disease is last on my mind, it's the tick.
My Mom calls the little ticks deer ticks. She says that those are the most dangerous. Again, disease isn't on my mind, and I'm glad that it's not! If disease was on my mind when I see a tick, who knows what'll happen!
I understand! I'm sensitive to tea tree oil though... I was just like you! But knocking myself silly literally knocked some sense into me, lol! I never want to do that again! 😄

Oh my goodness! That’s quite the story. That’s both hilarious and really really scary and sounds painful! I’m fine with snakes as well but ticks, I can’t do!! That story honestly sounds like something I would have happen to me too. When I find some bug on me I’m crazy and paranoid. When we find ticks on our dogs, we put them in a glass with water and drown them.

I can kind of relate to your story though 😂 last year me and my sister went to go visit our horses and it was spring time and our mare Misty was having a lice problem. Well anyway the story isn’t about the lice because horse lice can’t transmit to humans but there was some other bug in the air. A gust of wind blew and a minute later or so our heads started getting really itchy. It takes us about 15 minutes to get back to our house from our horses. And let me tell you, that 15 minutes felt like forever! We scratched our heads and whenever we felt an itch we could pinpoint a bug and we scratched and we would pick up a bug (ew! This story makes me cringe to this day). We tried identifying the bug but didn’t know quite what it was. I think that if they stayed in our heads they would have had their babies on our heads! So. GROSS! Anyway when we got home we rushed to the bathroom brushed our hair like crazy. Our mom made a formula with baking soda and water I think it was and we caked that into our hair. We leaned over the edge of the bathtub and every time we would shake our heads and go through our hair, a bunch of bugs fell out. Oh my god. So disgusting! And I came up with a song with my sister for our strategy of getting these bugs out and she just laughed the whole way through. I was singing this made up song so seriously to get these bugs out because it helped me cope with the situation. I know, a little weird lol. 😂 But we got all the bugs out and after over an hour of washing our hair like neurotic people we got them all out. I was so panicked that we wouldn’t get them out.

That definitely sounds like me. I couldn’t handle seeing a tick on me. I’d just panic as well and take it off of me probably not even getting it’s head out. I go into a panic mode and can’t think about anything else but to get a tick off of me.

Oh my goodness! That’s quite the story. That’s both hilarious and really really scary and sounds painful! I’m fine with snakes as well but ticks, I can’t do!! That story honestly sounds like something I would have happen to me too. When I find some bug on me I’m crazy and paranoid. When we find ticks on our dogs, we put them in a glass with water and drown them.

I can kind of relate to your story though 😂 last year me and my sister went to go visit our horses and it was spring time and our mare Misty was having a lice problem. Well anyway the story isn’t about the lice because horse lice can’t transmit to humans but there was some other bug in the air. A gust of wind blew and a minute later or so our heads started getting really itchy. It takes us about 15 minutes to get back to our house from our horses. And let me tell you, that 15 minutes felt like forever! We scratched our heads and whenever we felt an itch we could pinpoint a bug and we scratched and we would pick up a bug (ew! This story makes me cringe to this day). We tried identifying the bug but didn’t know quite what it was. I think that if they stayed in our heads they would have had their babies on our heads! So. GROSS! Anyway when we got home we rushed to the bathroom brushed our hair like crazy. Our mom made a formula with baking soda and water I think it was and we caked that into our hair. We leaned over the edge of the bathtub and every time we would shake our heads and go through our hair, a bunch of bugs fell out. Oh my god. So disgusting! And I came up with a song with my sister for our strategy of getting these bugs out and she just laughed the whole way through. I was singing this made up song so seriously to get these bugs out because it helped me cope with the situation. I know, a little weird lol. 😂 But we got all the bugs out and after over an hour of washing our hair like neurotic people we got them all out. I was so panicked that we wouldn’t get them out.
My goodness; how terrible! So glad you and your sister were able to get rid of all those nasty insects. :th

I'm sure there are tons of ticks out on the trails and hiking spots here in the Bay Area, but luckily I don't go hiking and have never seen one in my suburban city. We have a poodle puppy and when she gets older and starts going on walks and adventures, I will definitely try to keep away from areas that could have ticks. Ticks could probably hide really well in long, curly poodle hair!

Back
Top Bottom