My hubby is a downer -- he said absolutely NO bantams or silkies..

Momagain1

Songster
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Central IL
ugh...

I normally dont go "AGAINST" what he really feels strongly about..and he RARELY
asks me to NOT do something...

I feel I have to honor this request due to the fact he doesnt or very rarely asks
me to NOT do something...he rarely puts in his request of things I am trying to do
or want to do...he's very accomodating to me.. However I just wanted ONE silkie...seriously...just one..just for show..

any type of chick have a neat look to it that is full size that may lay eggs
at a decent production rate?? It would be fantastic if we could find a white layer
then we'd both be happy...

has to be cold hardy (and heat tolerant too)..
able to stand confinement (due to winters here)

TIA!

first silkies cant stand cold so u would need a heat lamp on them i suggest a brabanter pretter and lays a decent amout of white eggs

I love my Buttercups- they crank out the eggs and have a lovely crown. I do fine with them both in the heat and in the cold- just down in KS, I think we get a bit more heat, but same bitter cold.

Quote:
I have to disagree here-my Silkies have done extremely well in our cold winters.
smile.png

Love the look of the Appenzeller Spitzhauben. Can't vouch for how much the purebreds lay, but our AS roo sired a lot of our mixed flock and they're all quite productive.

Welllll.... <*clearing throat*> there are bantam versions of many breeds.

Because I am ..... the way I am.... I would get some bantam Leghorn chicks, maybe a couple bantam barred rocks, or barnevelders, and when they don't get as big as the LF versions, just be all surprised at having so many runts. Darn.

Or, if this appeals to you better, get a SINGLE bantam chick amongst the others. Awwww, look, a runt! Then you get your bantam, and no one is the wiser.
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom