My new and first Coop Build..

Quote:
Hmmmmm. now you got me thinking.. all you have said seems to be very logical. Even though the feeder is not exposed to the rain.. It is in the front of the run where it is covered, but still exposed to the humidity.. we have not been filling it all the way. The last 25 lb. bag was consumed in a week by 6 ducks. Untill I can come up with another idea I will only put in 5 lbs. of feed.. Thank You so much for your input!

Quote:
Thank You Nifty... I guess the most exciting part of building this coop was all the kids helped out! I kinda missed that from them.. as we all know when they reach their teens nothing parents do seems to excite them anymore..In this case i would build 100 coops just to have them together, ALWAYS!!!

ginger c. :

what an awesome job! it's simply beautiful!!!!
clap.gif

Thank You. we truly enjoyed building it! And Traci is doing a fantastic job at the interior murals...will post more pics soon.​

Quote:
Yep! Santo Claus House is right down the street(Santa Claus Way) from the Catholic church (whatelse but St Nicholas)and across from the Elf's Den Bar!

Have you had any luck getting the ducks up the ramp? Mine will hardly step up on a 4x4 and won't walk over a stump! And the geese are even more hard headed.

Are you going to feed straight layer mix to all your birds? Afraid they won't only eat out of their own feeder and without layer mix for the chickens you may have thin shell issues like I had a couple years ago. But the good side is a good steady feeder use so there is less time for a moisture problem to develop.

Saw you feeder and am working on a similar design but with a flared top for easier filling and a angled flip-up lid to prevent roosting. What if you lined it or built it out of plexiglas? You could moniter the feed level at a glance and see any developing issues, might even help againt moisture buildup.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep! Santo Claus House is right down the street(Santa Claus Way) from the Catholic church (whatelse but St Nicholas)and across from the Elf's Den Bar!

Have you had any luck getting the ducks up the ramp? Mine will hardly step up on a 4x4 and won't walk over a stump! And the geese are even more hard headed.

Are you going to feed straight layer mix to all your birds? Afraid they won't only eat out of their own feeder and without layer mix for the chickens you may have thin shell issues like I had a couple years ago. But the good side is a good steady feeder use so there is less time for a moisture problem to develop.

Saw you feeder and am working on a similar design but with a flared top for easier filling and a angled flip-up lid to prevent roosting. What if you lined it or built it out of plexiglas? You could moniter the feed level at a glance and see any developing issues, might even help againt moisture buildup.

We have thought of lining it with maybe a garbage bag or perhaps put the feed in a large heavy duty bag, cutting a slit at the bottom so it will still flow. Domenic doesnt feel as if they will make it up the ramp but I still have hopes they will. I will get into the coop and show them how tonight. It is my first day off in a while so I have the patience today. They will get it . I GUARANTEE. Although I dont know how good of an idea it is. Our ducks are messy little guys and that is one thing I cant teach is picking up their own poop. lol ha ha I say messy little guys. Thats a false statement. They are so big allready its nuts! What is it you are talking about with the layer mix?? We know nothing about difference in feeding the two?? Your idea of the plexi glass is actually a darn good idea. So you can see problems. I like that idea.

Your coop is AWESOME! I have a nice coop but yours is unbeliveable. I live in Florida and have an EE, they are cool...have green legs and lay green or bluish eggs. Mine lays mint green. Also a French Marans, black with feathers on her legs, and 4 Rhode Island Reds. They are very prolific egg layers. They are all very friendly, but my EE is a little skittish. They free range with no trouble, not one has been flighty or tried to fly out of the yard and they can't along with out any problem with 2 cats and 2 dogs, one who weighs 80lbs!
2 of them are a year old and the other 4 are9 mos old and I get between 4-6 eggs daily. Good luck, it's such a fun project, you won't regret having them. I'm planning to get more in the fall and expand my coop!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom