My pullet feels sick today :(

Just a big crop, full, like she ate a lot.
image.jpg

You have a young bird that pigged out on fresh grass cuttings, which should not be fed to chickens as they can form dense clumps in the crop and cause impacted crop. Lack of adequate grit can aggravate this.

Far better to permit chickens to graze on short mowed pasture, not the cuttings. That way they will eat dainty little bits of grass, not scoop up matted cuttings and get into trouble. You are likely in time to prevent the crop contents from fermenting and causing a yeast infection that would also need to be treated.

First, return the pullet to her pals. She does not need to be separated to treat her. The treatment is coconut oil. Lots of it. Divide into pea size pieces and chill until hard, then feed about a teaspoon worth into her beak.

Next massage her crop, the bulge on her chest that is sort of hanging to the right side. Focus your fingers on center mass, trying to get it to break up into smaller clumps and try to get it to push down and out of the crop. Repeat in half an hour with more oil and massage.

Read this to inform yourself about the crop and ways things can go wrong with it and how to fix it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Here is a diagram of a chicken so you can see how the crop empties into the rest of the digestive system. Grass is especially problematic for chickens as it can form matted clumps that can be so severe that crop surgery has to be done to remove the mass so the chicken doesn't die of starvation.
BB686644-1C07-4857-915C-A2041F6233BA.jpeg

@azygous, @Wyorp Rock, and @Eggcessive are much more knowledgeable than I am and may be of more help.
TY
You have a young bird that pigged out on fresh grass cuttings, which should not be fed to chickens as they can form dense clumps in the crop and cause impacted crop. Lack of adequate grit can aggravate this.

Far better to permit chickens to graze on short mowed pasture, not the cuttings. That way they will eat dainty little bits of grass, not scoop up matted cuttings and get into trouble. You are likely in time to prevent the crop contents from fermenting and causing a yeast infection that would also need to be treated.

First, return the pullet to her pals. She does not need to be separated to treat her. The treatment is coconut oil. Lots of it. Divide into pea size pieces and chill until hard, then feed about a teaspoon worth into her beak.

Next massage her crop, the bulge on her chest that is sort of hanging to the right side. Focus your fingers on center mass, trying to get it to break up into smaller clumps and try to get it to push down and out of the crop. Repeat in half an hour with more oil and massage.

Read this to inform yourself about the crop and ways things can go wrong with it and how to fix it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Here is a diagram of a chicken so you can see how the crop empties into the rest of the digestive system. Grass is especially problematic for chickens as it can form matted clumps that can be so severe that crop surgery has to be done to remove the mass so the chicken doesn't die of starvation.View attachment 3137611
Wow, Thank you so much - I did all that you said , she’s doing good!!

Someone told me to add a pile of clippings for digging enrichment - ugh . I’ll be more careful . Can’t thank you enough - for the time and education . :)

Back
Top Bottom