ChickenTendinBoyMama

In the Brooder
May 2, 2023
I have a supposed whiting true blue rooster that i bought from someone who hatched the eggs she purchased from someone. So he came from blue shell. But he does not have the white earlobes. Could he still be a WTB? Or did the seller of the eggs possibly have a mix up? He's 4 months.

Attachments

• 20230615_063611.jpg
    20230615_063611.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 42
If the bird looks exactly like its supposed breed, but only has one thing wrong or a few small things wrong with its appearance, then it is still that breed. Are Writing True Blue cockerels supposed to have that color?

If the bird looks exactly like its supposed breed, but only has one thing wrong or a few small things wrong with its appearance, then it is still that breed. Are Writing True Blue cockerels supposed to have that color?
Thanks for you comment 😊
From what I've read on them, they're kind of like easter eggers, so feathering is always different, some may have muff and some not. The only thing is the ears not being white but i don't know if that's a "has to have that" or if it doesn't since they're a mixed bread anyway (ameraucana/leghorn)

Thanks for you comment 😊
From what I've read on them, they're kind of like easter eggers, so feathering is always different, some may have muff and some not. The only thing is the ears not being white but i don't know if that's a "has to have that" or if it doesn't since they're a mixed bread anyway (ameraucana/leghorn)
If the ears is the only thing wrong with this appearance, then he is still a Whiting True Blue! You're welcome.

When you buy from a backyard breeder rather than a hatchery, there is a good chance that you are going to get birds that are mixed. This guy lacks the white earlobes, but more importantly, he has a rose comb. That means one parent also did, and I know of no breeds that lay blue or green eggs that have rose combs. Most lay brown- Wyandottes and Dominiques. What all this blather boils down to is that you're not going to know for sure if he will pass on blue egg genetics to his offspring. There's a good chance he will but it's not guaranteed as with pure Whiting True Blues. I'm not sure if that matters to you or not.

When you buy from a backyard breeder rather than a hatchery, there is a good chance that you are going to get birds that are mixed. This guy lacks the white earlobes, but more importantly, he has a rose comb. That means one parent also did, and I know of no breeds that lay blue or green eggs that have rose combs. Most lay brown- Wyandottes and Dominiques. What all this blather boils down to is that you're not going to know for sure if he will pass on blue egg genetics to his offspring. There's a good chance he will but it's not guaranteed as with pure Whiting True Blues. I'm not sure if that matters to you or not.
Yes his comb from the get go through me off from the start but waited for other signs and then realized the ears weren't going to white.
And yeah i would care, i don't really want to make BYMs, if i even hatch any eggs.
He's a good guy, was mainly curious on the blue gene but yeah someone reminded me since he's a mix, even if he was a WTB, wouldn't bleed true anyway.
Thanks for your comment!

Back
Top Bottom