Naked Neck/Turken Thread

37445AC9.jpg
Anyone have an idea of what this lil girl's color will be? She looks like a cute duckling to me, completely different from her sisters! :)
My girls Spock and Spock looked like that as chicks... Now they look like this:
_MG_7932.jpg
Here is one of them at a few days old (to the front).
_MG_7908.jpg
The other one. Or does it have a dot on the top of it's head?
_MG_7913.jpg
Like so? If it does, it is probably barred.

Last edited:
My little Misfit seems to have a regular feather pattern, Kassaundra....laced grey type......just his head and face that are odd. His behaviour is normal, no history of any illness or trauma. He was hatched around about July......one parent probably La Flèche.

Flower....his beak can't decide whether to be grey or yellow....and therefore it's predominantly grey with a yellow edge. The skin on the soles of his feet are yellow, but the legs are dark grey, too. I think this relates to his basic skin colour being yellow with a pigmenting gene actin on it (Help me out here, genetics experts......)

Whatever, you don't have to be normal to live on .....few things are....even our wild owls hoot by day, and look what is in the background in this picture of Misfit....

I'm still thinking chimera, in humans it does not alway (usually seldom) as half and half. Most of the pics online seem to be half and half, but I'm thinking that may not be the only presentation. To know for sure would take DNA testing since if it is chimera it should have two diff dna's.

Thank you Kassaundra, very interesting, I'll read up on chimeras. With one side of the face looking male and the other female..........I am sure he's not a hermaphrodite...tee hee!.

I will post pics. of him as he matures and you can tell me what you think.

Flower....Gordon is always happy to please.

JenW, Aoxa....you're right......I have had a number of chicks who look like your little one....and they now look very similar to Spock....here's Marv.

Unfortunately Marv isn't good at posing, has green eyes and small foot webs....

Aoxa...was Spock taking a bow in your second picture of her???

Last edited:
Thank you Kassaundra, very interesting, I'll read up on chimeras. With one side of the face looking male and the other female..........I am sure he's not a hermaphrodite...tee hee!. I will post pics. of him as he matures and you can tell me what you think. Flower....Gordon is always happy to please. JenW, Aoxa....you're right......I have had a number of chicks who look like your little one....and they now look very similar to Spock....here's Marv. Unfortunately Marv isn't good at posing, has green eyes and small foot webs.... Aoxa...was Spock taking a bow in your second picture of her???
as a chick? Looks like it :D I call them both Spock. One has a smaller bowtie. One is laying beautiful chalky green eggs. I just had my first hawk attack this morning. It got one of my sizzles and dropped it as my FIL ran out. He's got a puncture wound, but will be okay. Now I am worried about free ranging.. I don't have any fences, and the leaves are gone - allowing for an easier view of the chicken buffet :( Everyone is inside until I can assess the situation. I am at work.
_MG_7339.jpg
Also, thought I'd share this picture of Murtle begging me for treats. She has a modified pea comb and also lays chalky green eggs.
_MG_7404.jpg
Lucky Brian the rooster
_MG_7327.jpg
Spock with her hatch mates - Tilly & Rosa the buff Toulouse Geese!

aoxa In your second Spock picture with the beautiful black/green irridescent feathers which look awkward as if on is facing forward and the left one is placed on the back. Do you remember if it was windy or not. I think that is what PG is referring to as "taking a bow" ?

Tilly and Rosa have very pretty feathering and I wonder if they give the alarm sound for your flock. I have heard that geese are good "watch dogs" for barnyard animals. Lucky Brian is handsome and I hope that he continues to be a good man for your birds. I have yet to raise a rooster to maturity and beyond the hormonal youth stage except for a blue silkie that I can not take serously since how harmeful could a ball of fluff be. I see the problem being that I am not able to allow them to be free of confinement for long enough periods.

aoxa   In your second Spock picture with the beautiful black/green irridescent feathers which look awkward as if on is facing forward and the left one is placed on the back.  Do you remember if it was windy or not. I think that is what PG is referring to as "taking a bow" ?  

Tilly and Rosa have very pretty feathering and I wonder if they give the alarm sound for your flock. I have heard that geese are good "watch dogs" for barnyard animals.  Lucky Brian is handsome and I hope that he continues to be a good man for your birds.  I have yet to raise a rooster to maturity and beyond the hormonal youth stage except for a blue silkie that I can not take serously since how harmeful could a ball of fluff be.  I see the problem being that I am not able to allow them to be free of confinement for long enough periods.
It was not windy, she was preening here :)

They are not alarm geese at all. They are quiet quiet and docile compared to other breeds.

Is your silkie rooster mean? I'm having a hard time understanding if you have not raised any above that age except him, or if he is the only one who is mean :p

It was not windy, she was preening here
smile.png

They are not alarm geese at all. They are quiet quiet and docile compared to other breeds.
Is your silkie rooster mean? I'm having a hard time understanding if you have not raised any above that age except him, or if he is the only one who is mean
tongue.png
Oh he is not mean but on occasion did peck me when you pick him up but he has been corrected of that. He is the only rooster that I managed to keep to the ripe age of two years. Other larger roosters were culled. I do not have full control over my flock because I need to keep them elsewhere at this point. I am working on changing my location so I can raise them differently

Back
Top Bottom