Need info about bantams!

Chickenrandomness

12 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Stanley, North Dakota
How much do the folloing bantam breeds lay in a week? (from experience)
jumpy.gif
idunno.gif
hu.gif

Japanese
Brahma
OEG
Cornish
Silkie
sebright
EE
Antwerp Belgian
Cochin
Modern Game

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think that each chicken itself is different, but here are my rates at peak of lay season

OEG: every other day
Japanese Black Tails: Every day
Cochins: 2 eggs every 3 days
Silkies: every other day

my bantams lay like this when they are getting optimal light (14 hrs a day)

Japanese- my 2 hens (1-2 y/o) lay about an egg every 2-3 days
Brahma- my 2 hens (1-2 y/o) laid about an egg every 3rd day
sebright- my 3 hens (1-2 y/o) lay almost an egg a day
Cochin- my 1 hen (2 y/o) lays an egg every other day

when i had no lights for a few months, and daylight hours were far below optimal most of my hens stopped laying altogether.

Cochins will average about 120-180 eggs per year. When they are wanting to sit, they will lay every day for a while, then they get slow. I found OEG's to be same.

Brahmas will depend on the strain. One strain I had were like cochins, next laid 5 out of 7 days.

EE's are the best layers of the bantams depending on families and how close they are to Americauna's. More cross bred the better the layer.

Remember they are bred for type, color not laying ability. That is why each strain is different.

Last edited:
Almost all my birds (mostly silkies or silkie crosses, though there are a few other breeds, too) lay daily unless in molt or broody or the high heat of summer (very few lay off for winter and I do not add extra ligt unless it is really cold, then I prefer (but don't always have) blue (moon glow) heat lamps that give out very little real light.

edited to add, I should have said most of my hens, none of the boys lay,
lol.png
and I have a lot of youngsters that are simply too young
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I have a Serama/D'uccle hybird, and three Serama/OEGB hybrids. They were all laying every day until the flock came down with fowl pox. Our smallest hen kept laying every day (!), but the others stopped for a while. They're now back laying again but with winter they're only laying every other day now. Of course the eggs are very small.

A friend of ours said his modern game bantams laid eggs almost the size of a standard chicken egg. Ouch, is what I'm thinking.

So they really do lay more than what I thought...I was thinking about getting a few bantams, but then most of what I have read online said they lay one egg a week or so, which is not enough for me to justify having them. But, every other day would be great. D'Uccles are going back on my wish list!

Back
Top Bottom