Need info about bantams!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickenrandomness, Dec 12, 2009.

1. How much do the folloing bantam breeds lay in a week? (from experience) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Japanese
    Brahma
    OEG
    Cornish
    Silkie
    sebright
    EE
    Antwerp Belgian
    Cochin
    Modern Game

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I think that each chicken itself is different, but here are my rates at peak of lay season

OEG: every other day
    Japanese Black Tails: Every day
    Cochins: 2 eggs every 3 days
    Silkies: every other day

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Seramas lay about every other day. Of course, that's my experience with one hen! [​IMG]

4. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    My cochin frizzles lay everyday

5. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    brahmas are about every other day. i figure about a 28-32 hour cycle between laying.

6. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    my bantams lay like this when they are getting optimal light (14 hrs a day)

Japanese- my 2 hens (1-2 y/o) lay about an egg every 2-3 days
    Brahma- my 2 hens (1-2 y/o) laid about an egg every 3rd day
    sebright- my 3 hens (1-2 y/o) lay almost an egg a day
    Cochin- my 1 hen (2 y/o) lays an egg every other day

when i had no lights for a few months, and daylight hours were far below optimal most of my hens stopped laying altogether.

7. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Cochins will average about 120-180 eggs per year. When they are wanting to sit, they will lay every day for a while, then they get slow. I found OEG's to be same.

Brahmas will depend on the strain. One strain I had were like cochins, next laid 5 out of 7 days.

EE's are the best layers of the bantams depending on families and how close they are to Americauna's. More cross bred the better the layer.

Remember they are bred for type, color not laying ability. That is why each strain is different.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Almost all my birds (mostly silkies or silkie crosses, though there are a few other breeds, too) lay daily unless in molt or broody or the high heat of summer (very few lay off for winter and I do not add extra ligt unless it is really cold, then I prefer (but don't always have) blue (moon glow) heat lamps that give out very little real light.

edited to add, I should have said most of my hens, none of the boys lay, [​IMG] and I have a lot of youngsters that are simply too young [​IMG]

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I have a Serama/D'uccle hybird, and three Serama/OEGB hybrids. They were all laying every day until the flock came down with fowl pox. Our smallest hen kept laying every day (!), but the others stopped for a while. They're now back laying again but with winter they're only laying every other day now. Of course the eggs are very small.

A friend of ours said his modern game bantams laid eggs almost the size of a standard chicken egg. Ouch, is what I'm thinking.

10. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    So they really do lay more than what I thought...I was thinking about getting a few bantams, but then most of what I have read online said they lay one egg a week or so, which is not enough for me to justify having them. But, every other day would be great. D'Uccles are going back on my wish list!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by