Catrena

Hatching
Jan 15, 2021
After calling so many times to animal control, after my neighbors chickens and mine dieing....its racking up to 100 birds thus far and he hasint delt with his dogs geting out. 100 birds being in the last year and a half i think. Im sick of it because it takes 6 months to grow these girls and ocasional rooster... and when my daughter was geting attached to one of are roo's and kept calling him buddy i knew i had to do something about this. She helps so much to take care of are animals.

Odessa animal control is not helping.. wont do anything about it. Even though they said they would take the dog. This man has 6-8 dogs that get out and he wants to breed them and did breed them. They have scabs on there legs a chihuahua that gets niped at constantly and dogs that escape every month of so and kill everything in site from birds to rabits to the ocasional kitten... WHAT can be done when the law is not doing ANYTHING about it...when your inside and theres a dog that can sprint off in a meer 60 seconds...and you haul your ass out with a gun to shoot it but its gone wilst everyones screaming it went that way!.....lets say i shoot the dog. But not in my area. because it skiped around. Im asuming at this point the law will come in and be like no you cant do that. What in gods name am i supost to do! call spca? call peta? my local humane society? who is going to help with the pain my whole area faces every few months trying to grow there livestock...Not to mention i just had baby goat kids and everyone was terified!

Call the your local dog warden. Ours will tell us to call in to report problem dogs. Usually if it becomes a serious problem (like killing other peoples pets/livestock), they will tell us to shoot it, as long as its on our property. But the owner should be the one who takes the heat, its his reason for the dog being that way. I really hate people who don't keep their dogs leashed or contained. I really do not want to kill a dog, but I don't want bit myself either.

I've personally dealt with loose dogs. One I knew the owner well. I told him, keep the dog tied up, it's coming to my house fighting with my tied up dogs. Thankfully the dog never bothered my chickens or cats. But continued to go after my dogs. 2 of my 3 dogs are fairly laid back couch potatoes. My female pitbull is the complete opposite. She would very likely maul his dog, and I wouldn't be able to stop her. I straight up told him that, I didn't want to bury his dog for him. His dog has been tied up since then. Maybe go have a talk with the dogs owner. In person.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this issue.
It is the owners responsibility to keep their animals on their own property and to take care of them. And it is frustrating that animal control won't help you.
Is there any way to put in an electric fence around the area that your chickens free range?

Seeing you can't get your sights on him, a fence is your only option. However, I bet if you called the police and said the dog tried attacking you, but you got inside just in time, action would be taken.

If you do end up shooting the dog. As much as one would like to dumpit on his doorstep feet first, I'd just SSS. (Shoot,Shovel,Shutup).

Seeing you can't get your sights on him, a fence is your only option. However, I bet if you called the police and said the dog tried attacking you, but you got inside just in time, action would be taken.

If you do end up shooting the dog. As much as one would like to dumpit on his doorstep feet first, I'd just SSS. (Shoot,Shovel,Shutup).
SSS all the way if the neighbor has been unreasonable. Has anyone talked directky to him? I’ll go the extra mile or maybe two. My dogs have gotten out before and I don’t want mine shot without a second chance, but this sounds like a year long struggle with repeated problems. The level of stress neighbor dog/animal problems can bring is incredible. I hope you find a good solution.

WHAT can be done when the law is not doing ANYTHING about it...when your inside and theres a dog that can sprint off in a meer 60 seconds...and you haul your ass out with a gun to shoot it but its gone wilst everyones screaming it went that way!

Can you set up some kind of a live trap?

I don't know what kind of fences or coops you have, but if the dog ever forces its way into one of those, it might not be able to get out, and you would then be able to either shoot it or call Animal Control to get it RIGHT NOW.

Last edited:
Electric fence. Dogs may still kill somebody else's birds, but won't be bothering yours. They get zapped and it's one and done. They don't come back.
I agree. I have electric wires around my coops and pens. Once a predator/dog gets zapped they usually don't test them again. One BYC member several years ago, was having an issue with a neighbors dog. She did talk to the dog's owner who denied it was his dog that was on her property killing her birds. She shot it with a paint ball the next time it came onto her property. I don't remember the rest of the story but I don't think she had problems after that.
http://www.plamondon.com/wp/faq-simple-electric-fences-chickens/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-treatise-on-electric-fencing.1117877/

Back
Top Bottom