New duckling can’t uncurl his leg?

Madchickwoman

Songster
6 Years
Dec 11, 2013
Cornwall, Uk
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi, I have a duckling that hatched this morning 8 hours ago. He can’t uncurl his leg and I can’t straighten it. His brother was star gazing which I treated successfully with brewers yeast. I’ve tried it with this little one but no joy. He is very perky and drinking vitamin water. The joint looks swollen but could’ve be because he’s hobbling on it! Still in the incubator with lots of cuddles! Any ideas?

Bless its heart. Only thing I can think might be wrong is slipped tendon. here is some information. http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/slipped-tendon
I would for go brewers yeast and opt for liquid B complex from TSC in the cattle aisle, It will say injectable but if you peel off the foil use a 1ml dropper and pull out that amount. It's excellent to keep leg issues from happening in our water fowl babies.

View attachment 1801177 View attachment 1801178 Hi, I have a duckling that hatched this morning 8 hours ago. He can’t uncurl his leg and I can’t straighten it. His brother was star gazing which I treated successfully with brewers yeast. I’ve tried it with this little one but no joy. He is very perky and drinking vitamin water. The joint looks swollen but could’ve be because he’s hobbling on it! Still in the incubator with lots of cuddles! Any ideas?
The last of my 11 ducklings that hatched last Wednesday took forever and his little leg was messed up too just like that. I put him in his own little brooder with a mirror overnight. He was fine the next morning and I was able to put him in with all his brothers and sisters. I think he was so scrunched up in the egg for so long was his problem. Hopefully, yours will do the same.

Thankyou for your replies, I am in the uk and finding it difficult to get anything useful! I’ve got high strength brewers yeast tablets that I am crushing and mixing with poultry tonic, I gave him a swim last night it was so funny just gong round in circles as only one leg works!!! I’ve just put him in with his brothers but he’s crying for me all the time, may have another problem now! Omg no one warned me it was going to be so stressful!

Update on Daffy, his leg is no better. Joint is deformed so decided it was a birth defect. He is getting round by hopping and keeping up with his brothers and sisters. He in is however much smaller than them and doesn’t eat as much. I am supplementing his diet with peas, blueberries and meal worms. Anybody got any ideas to help him grow? Hubby has designed a wheelchair for when he’s bigger!

Update on Daffy, his leg is no better. Joint is deformed so decided it was a birth defect. He is getting round by hopping and keeping up with his brothers and sisters. He in is however much smaller than them and doesn’t eat as much. I am supplementing his diet with peas, blueberries and meal worms. Anybody got any ideas to help him grow? Hubby has designed a wheelchair for when he’s bigger!
You are so great to keep and help him instead of deciding to "cull" him like so many would have said to do.

He may have other things going on too,since he isn’t growing as fast as the others, just keep on with what your doing your giving him the best possible life he could have. Bless you for caring for Daffy and letting him enjoy his life. We’d love to follow along as he grows and then is in his wheel chair. Oh and if your giving b complex keep it up the vitamins can stimulate appetite and help him feel better.

He may have other things going on too,since he isn’t growing as fast as the others, just keep on with what your doing your giving him the best possible life he could have. Bless you for caring for Daffy and letting him enjoy his life. We’d love to follow along as he grows and then is in his wheel chair. Oh and if your giving b complex keep it up the vitamins can stimulate appetite and help him feel better.
Oh good idea, Thankyou.

Back
Top Bottom