Official BYC Poll: How Do You Protect Your Chickens From Predators?

How Do You Protect Your Chickens From Predators?

• I have a cement floor so they can't dig from underneath

Votes: 68 10.5%
  • Their coop is raised off the ground

Votes: 287 44.3%
  • Their run is covered

Votes: 406 62.7%
  • I have secure latches on all doors, including nest boxes.

Votes: 416 64.2%
  • They are fenced in with hardware cloth

Votes: 357 55.1%
  • I have bushes and other hiding places for my chickens to hide under during the day

Votes: 278 42.9%
  • I have one or more roosters on guard

Votes: 299 46.1%
  • I've installed an electric fence around my perimeter

Votes: 71 11.0%
  • I have a motion-activated light near the coop

Votes: 159 24.5%
  • I have a game cam installed

Votes: 102 15.7%
  • I have a properly trained guard dog

Votes: 85 13.1%
  • Predators aren't much of a problem around my area

Votes: 82 12.7%
  • I hang CD's and other shiny objects around to deter aerial predators

Votes: 46 7.1%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 108 16.7%

• Total voters
i have posts for the fencing but how big are the sheets of netting? my run is 175x200’. will snow fall through it or pull it down? do i need posts in the middle?
I use netting to cover my pens but my pens are smaller than yours. Mine are 60'x200'. I do have some wooden T-posts I made to hold up the netting because it will sag. My fences are 5' tall which is my height but I still have to duck some where it sags. About in the middle of the picture I have a very tall T-post that you can see in the picture.
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

I have had almost no predator attacks, but I have had a couple close calls with Cooper's Hawks recently. Overall though my area is pretty safe.

My chickens have lots of trees and bushes to hang out in, but most don't provide much cover in this season.

I try to always have a rooster or two for breeding and to watch for predators. My roosters have saved my hens more than once from Cooper's Hawks!

I lock them in their predator proof coop and runs at night. After (at least) six years I never forget anymore, unless it has been a very strange and busy day.
I got an automatic coop door set on a timer because I didn't trust my son to remember to shut their door on the nights I worked. It has been the best thing ever.

My coop is elevated with a lock on the people door. The chicken door is very heavy I’d say around 20 pounds and very hard to lift from the bottom so we don’t have it locked. The run is just a chain link dog pen with a tarp over the top. No wire under the sidesor anything. We have very few daytime predators so the run is less of a concern. Also all gaps in the sides of the coop have hardware cloth to prevent snakes from coming in.

My coops are definitely lacking on security, but when I have losses, I set up live traps to deal with whatever the problem was. During the day, my birds have a zillion places to hide and I dont think I've had many daytime issues. My biggest risk is broodies on hidden nests.

We have a large, covered, run that they spend most of the time in. Now, they get about 2-3 hours, in the evening, of supervised free range time, and more on the weekends. If the dogs are out, I don't need to worry about predators. They look after the chickens well. A word of warning, the cds hanging in the trees doesn't always work. Our pullets were in the yard last summer and my wife went inside for about 15 minutes. A falcon came down and killed one. We had about a dozen cds hanging all around the yard. It didn't deter it at all.

How do human intruders work? I keep key locks on our coop and was always worried someone may come and just try and steal them or possibly may not like them and kill them. I have an aggressive rooster that only likes me so it's pretty funny when people decide to mess with him. But I'm just wondering what do human intruders do?

I used to have just critter resistant latches (no key or code needed). My egg counts had gone from around 18 a day to just 2 or 3. I swore someone was stealing eggs. Hubs said I was nuts.....until there were footprints in the snow going around the house, through the side gate, straight to the coop and back out. That day I got 1 egg.
Luckily my birds have never been fond of strangers. To get in the run means leaving the coop to go to the run door. I am sure my hens all darted out to the run as a stranger entered the coop. Heading into the run they would have run back into the house. Chasing them would have drawn attention with all the screaming the hens would have been doing.
Padlocks went on that night. The next day I had my expected egg counts.

Humans can be the absolute worst.

Back
Top Bottom