Official BYC Poll: Where Do You Buy Your Feed From & Why?

Where do you buy feed (and explain why below)?

• Total voters
I normally purchase chicken feed (Purina Flock Raiser) from TSC because they usually have fresher feed and I really love their curbside pick-up so I don't have to go in the store.
I purchase Waterfowl feed from my local Southern States because TSC didn't carry a specific duck feed whenever I was shopping for something that wouldn't choke my ducks like the crumble feed does. I tried purchasing Flock Raiser from Southern States but the feed was over 5 months old. Once I noticed my chickens weren't too happy about the feed they normally love, I discovered the age of the feed. After unsuccessfully trying to exchange it for a fresh bag, I was able to exchange it for another bag of waterfowl feed. That is always fresh and they oftentimes sell out of it.
I've been purchasing my dogs feed from TSC because this is the only local place that carries it. I could order it, but I'm way too much of a procrastinator and often wait to get more once they're out. Sadly, I'm going to find somewhere else to purchase dog food because TSC doesn't have any other brands that I have any faith in. I'm trying to find 5 different dog foods to keep my dogs on a rotation. TSC is convenient because I purchase so much chicken feed and I'm there weekly, so it's so easy to add a bag of dog food, but I don't mind doing more to keep the dogs happy and healthy, if at all possible.
I purchase the Turtle feed from Amazon because I can buy in bulk instead of 1 to 3 ozs so often.

I wish I had a real feed store nearby! Being in the (urban) suburbs, even the nearest TSC is 35 miles away. The best we have is a watered-down version that sells Purina only, and not at low prices. I buy shavings there because it's actually more convenient than having it delivered, but I buy chicken feed online.

The local-ish feed store here is Allies Tack...it's right across the street from Allie's Donuts. I know the donut shop has been there since 1968, and they'll have a line around the building on a weekend morning. Not sure how old the tack/feed store is, but I know it was there when I was a teenager, which ~25 years ago. I never met Allie, but I bet he was my kind of guy.

Of course, you need to be real specific since they share a name. "Can you stop by Allie's and get a bunch of stuff....we need one of everything" can cause serious disappointment! :p

Hey @jreardon1918 - do you mind sharing the name/town? I'm in RI, but my folks are over the border in MA and I wouldn't mind checking it out.
I love to mention them. Ventura Grain in Taunton Mass. Great place. Real farm people. Just don't grab the day old chicks I want this spring. :cool: it is 20 minutes from our house. We go there every 4-6 weeks for a bag of feed.

I love to mention them. Ventura Grain in Taunton Mass. Great place. Real farm people. Just don't grab the day old chicks I want this spring. :cool: it is 20 minutes from our house. We go there every 4-6 weeks for a bag of feed.

Thank you for the reference. I grew up in Rehoboth, and my folks still live there, so Taunton isn't too far.

We have 2 TSC locations and 1 Southern States, but no local feed stores. The chicken feed prices differ by less than a dollar per 50lb bag so I buy from the TSC that is only 15 min. from my house. The cat likes the 4Health food from TSC and our dog food comes from Walmart as it is usually cheaper there.
My daughter buys her horse's food from TSC (SS doesn't carry his food) but the hay from Southern States(much higher quality and the TSC closest to us doesn't carry hay anyway).

Back
Top Bottom