Official BYC Poll: Where Do You Buy Your Feed From & Why?

Where do you buy feed (and explain why below)?

• Total voters
Pics
I buy all the critters' feed (chickens, cat and fish) online and have it delivered because I don't want to go into any stores in person right now. TSC is the only store that will deliver poultry feed to me, so that's where I'm ordering from. But when COVID is over, I'll go back to the local feed&seed store for the poultry feed (I don't have a TSC nearby). Cat and fish food will still be ordered online, because it's not as heavy and doesn't charge shipping the way TSC does, so no need to go to the pet store for that.

I buy organic feed at a nearby store in the Netherlands where they sell all kind of supplies for pets and livestock + all kind of stuff for gardening. I used to buy organic feed at the local mill which is closer. But they changed the brand and the quality is way less now.

I choose organic bc I don’t want to feed my chickens GMO feed which contains poisonous and genetic manipulated soy and corn from Brazil.

Has anyone tried spent fermented grains from a local brewer? If yes - what are the best to ask for and is it something that you can get and store, or does it need to be consumed rather quickly to not go bad?

Most of the time I buy from TSC (or Rural King in a pinch). I prefer a local feed store but they changed their hours so I can't reasonably get there so I switched. Plus TSC is like the walmart for the farm world. One stop and I can get everything for the farm.

In the end it evens out for us. Local store is more expensive for some of the other animal stuff but TSC is more expensive for the chickens.

I buy mine from whomever has feed and is close by. In my case TSC is the only option so that is where I buy so my vote has little to offer.

I doubt there is really much price or selection difference between big box retailers and local independent feed stores on this type of item.

I get my premade food from farm fleet or a local mill. I also get corn from local farmers. This year got quite abit free by cleaning up where the loading and drying took place otherwise I can buy it. I buy soybean meal from local mill also.
Then I have a old cast iron burr grinder I bought years ago at auction to grind the corn.
I mix the corn, soy meal, premade food together and they also free range.
I have thought of mixing supplement just because it is winter here in Wisconsin. Free ranging is not the best here at times in wisconsin, but they seem to be doing fine.
Summer they get the extras from the garden and extra from the sweet corn and if there is any house scraps they get those.

Back
Top Bottom