21hens-incharge

Slightly nuts
6 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
With 20 at 3 weeks old that is reasonable to go through that much. It makes sense they would empty it during the day when more active.

They are getting big enough to transition to a hanging feeder. Those hold more so as they grow you won't need to worry about hungry monsters when you come home.

I switch to the 7# hanging feeders at around 3 weeks here.

Fishychix

Songster
May 20, 2020
NE Ohio
I always educated anyone getting eggs from me on egg oddities. I also always crack eggs in a small bowl before adding to whatever I am making....just in case.
If people know what that may find then there are no shockers.
That’s my philosophy, too, but I get grossed out looks from my friends and they say they’d rather get their eggs from the store. :he:barnie I will inform my potential cutomers anyway, but my friends’ reactions through me for a loop.

21hens-incharge

Slightly nuts
6 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
That’s my philosophy, too, but I get grossed out looks from my friends and they say they’d rather get their eggs from the store. :he:barnie I will inform my potential cutomers anyway, but my friends’ reactions through me for a loop.
If they would rather eat pale sad eggs let them. Just know they aren't really enjoying breakfast. :lau
For real if it freaks them out then they are unworthy of receiving any.

I am getting requests for duck eggs already too. They won't even be close to laying for a month yet. I will only give those to ONE very close friend.....he gives us venison pretty regularly. He deserves some good ducky eggs.

One of hubs friends would ask for eggs sporadically. Kind of ticked me off when he would bring a stack of the blue Wal-Mart cartons to trade for eggs. I cannot even use those......my hens eggs don't fit.

Fishychix

Songster
May 20, 2020
NE Ohio
Bob whites are terrible. Or maybe it was the ones I was dealing with. They were always terrified and flying around like maniacs.

You can actually get an outdoor add on elevator. There was a house for sale for a while that had one. It was crazy. Big steal tunnel attached to the outside of the house. New owners listed it for sale so I guess they didn't need it. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I just read the first few pages of your thread regarding treating wounds with sugar. Wow! I wish I healed that well, lol. Can you tell me how you made her apron? That stockinette stuff looks like a mans undershirt almost. I’ve never seen it before. I have seen tube gauze, but it doesn’t seem to be as sturdy as what you had.

Fishychix

Songster
May 20, 2020
NE Ohio
If they would rather eat pale sad eggs let them. Just know they aren't really enjoying breakfast. :lau
For real if it freaks them out then they are unworthy of receiving any.

I am getting requests for duck eggs already too. They won't even be close to laying for a month yet. I will only give those to ONE very close friend.....he gives us venison pretty regularly. He deserves some good ducky eggs.

One of hubs friends would ask for eggs sporadically. Kind of ticked me off when he would bring a stack of the blue Wal-Mart cartons to trade for eggs. I cannot even use those......my hens eggs don't fit.
Lol! Too true! Why won’t your eggs fit? I’m technically new to chickens. I’ve been around chickens for most of my life, but they were always just there and I didn’t have anything to do with them. They actually scared me most of the time. Now that they’re my own and I raised them from chicks, I find them endearing. And now I look forward to being bum rushed when I walk up to them! :love

rjohns39

Wrangler
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Aug 20, 2015
Smith County, TN
Good morning folks :frow

I always educated anyone getting eggs from me on egg oddities. I also always crack eggs in a small bowl before adding to whatever I am making....just in case.
If people know what that may find then there are no shockers.
I do the same.
Theoretically you could candle them, but that's a lot of work and I agree with Henny, if they're freaked out, then they're better off with store bought eggs, and even then you can get the occasional hunk of protein or blood spot.

21hens-incharge

Slightly nuts
6 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
Lol! Too true! Why won’t your eggs fit? I’m technically new to chickens. I’ve been around chickens for most of my life, but they were always just there and I didn’t have anything to do with them. They actually scared me most of the time. Now that they’re my own and I raised them from chicks, I find them endearing. And now I look forward to being bum rushed when I walk up to them! :love
Lol....my eggs don't fit in the blue cartons due to size....most of my birds lay extra large or jumbo eggs.

The birds not being afraid of you and bum rushing is a handy thing. If they are roaming the yard and a hawk shows up it makes it much easier to get them to safety.

Good morning folks :frow

I do the same.

Theoretically you could candle them, but that's a lot of work and I agree with Henny, if they're freaked out, then they're better off with store bought eggs, and even then you can get the occasional hunk of protein or blood spot.
Good morning Bob. :frow
Have a great day.

Grammy60

Free Ranging
Jul 2, 2019
Smith County TN
Good morning everyone 😊have a great day

Lol....my eggs don't fit in the blue cartons due to size....most of my birds lay extra large or jumbo eggs.

The birds not being afraid of you and bum rushing is a handy thing. If they are roaming the yard and a hawk shows up it makes it much easier to get them to safety.

Good morning Bob. :frow
Have a great day.
Good morning Henny :frow have a great day

Last edited:

Top Bottom