21hens-incharge

Nuttier than a squirrels stash
Premium Feather Member
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
Ok Y'all.
Throw me ideas please.
This is the Bitty house I am needing to modify. It is TINY at just 3' deep and 4' wide.
I have a couple pieces of siding (small chunks) enough to add up to 11 inches in height. I think it needs the height to let moist air out easier.
I have it on legs now that give 20" of clearance under it.
Thinking of making one side wall hinged for cleaning. That or the front.....
I do have 2 pieces of 10' long 3' wide metal roofing and the cull 2x4's I got for this.
IMG_20190830_124342.jpg

DanielE1990

Crowing
Jun 8, 2014
East TN
Ok Y'all.
Throw me ideas please.
This is the Bitty house I am needing to modify. It is TINY at just 3' deep and 4' wide.
I have a couple pieces of siding (small chunks) enough to add up to 11 inches in height. I think it needs the height to let moist air out easier.
I have it on legs now that give 20" of clearance under it.
Thinking of making one side wall hinged for cleaning. That or the front.....
I do have 2 pieces of 10' long 3' wide metal roofing and the cull 2x4's I got for this.
View attachment 2340903
Not 100% sure on exactly what you said you had to work with lol. Sorry.
if you're wanting to allow a little bit more airflow and keep it easy to clean since it is that low to the ground I would recommend having the top hinge that you can lift up for cleaning instead of having to get down and try to scrape out the front.

Or another suggestion if you have the materials would be to raise the entire unit a couple more feet off the ground and add an entire bottom layer to it making the coop part elevated.

21hens-incharge

Nuttier than a squirrels stash
Premium Feather Member
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
Not 100% sure on exactly what you said you had to work with lol. Sorry.
if you're wanting to allow a little bit more airflow and keep it easy to clean since it is that low to the ground I would recommend having the top hinge that you can lift up for cleaning instead of having to get down and try to scrape out the front.

Or another suggestion if you have the materials would be to raise the entire unit a couple more feet off the ground and add an entire bottom layer to it making the coop part elevated.
The coop part is raised (I am short so just 22 inch legs). I have 2 pieces of siding measuring 22"x49" yes 49".
I was thinking I could raise the front and back adding on to the tops of the walls and incorporate vents there. The sides I would add onto the bottoms due to the roof slant.
That flip lid....omg it is SOOOO freaking heavy. I won't be reusing it. Well....maybe the sheet of plywood. I want to tie the coop into the (new) walk in run using the roof trusses and metal roofing.

Rough side view....

IMG_20200919_190724.jpg

This would house 3 bantam cochins.

Chickassan

Wattle Fondler
May 23, 2017
Greenville S.C, formerly Noneya U.S.A
Got to talk to my older neighbor man with Jerry being Jerry on my shoulders and head.
I watched their house and fed their cat last week and they brought me some chow chow, corn salsa and tomato and bacon salad dressing and 30$.
The canned goods were in a box so I had zero hands to reel in my chicken son.
I bet they enjoy having me as a neighbor. :p

Top Bottom