Fishychix

Crowing
May 20, 2020
NE Ohio
That is one of my favorite things too.

I used to seek out super old books....like written in the 1800's. The way they wrote makes for a more challenging read.
Sure does!
A few years ago I finally broke down and read Jane Austen. I almost immediately regretted not reading them earlier. They’re not half bad. Lol! Although, I still can’t work my way through Dickens. Whew!

21hens-incharge

Slightly nuts
Premium Feather Member
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
just found an early edition of Heidi at my favorite used book store---loved it as a kid and want my granddaughter to read it
I really hope she does. It is worth reading. So many good books that build a creative mind are not read anymore it is a shame.
I think there is a bit to much instant gratification these days and patience, the ability to take time to do something is being lost.

21hens-incharge

Slightly nuts
Premium Feather Member
Mar 9, 2014
Northern Colorado
she is 12 and a great reader---loved to come with me when I was volunteering there and tutoring. we just refinished a bookshelf and filled a shelf with her favorite baby books for her soon to be born baby brother
That is awesome on many accounts!
Congratulations on the soon to arrive new grandbaby!
I hope she shares with you what she likes and dislikes in Heidi. Best conversation starter is a good book you have read and she is reading.
So much better to get lost in a good book than a video game!

Anansi

Free Ranging
Mar 10, 2017
Greater Seattle
My kids love reading. DD#'s favorite was Uncle Wiggily's Story Book. The school she was in has a reading minutes program, so I had her read to her sisters every night, and I would read every morning from a different book. Being read to counted as well, so they got 10,000+ minutes every school year. Each daughter that went there was on the 10,000 minute plaque every year they were there.

Reading is something that if encouraged early on will give a lifetime of pleasure.

Top Bottom