You should! You've got room and you've got Pat not to mention the patience of a saint.
You're in the same boat as Chooky!
Good place, perfect rooster man, and the right personality.
They are NOT a chicken for serious or uptight people not at all.:lau
Making me consider some derps of my own. I love the bearded ladies.

I've thought about getting one.....oh taters....I've thought about getting about 20 different breeds.
:wee
me too

that's why I decided not to go on looks and concentrate on meat
but there still is too many breeds
cornish
naked necks
white rocks
chancellors
are my top picks
:oops:

:wee
me too

that's why I decided not to go on looks and concentrate on meat
but there still is too many breeds
cornish
naked necks
white rocks
chancellors
are my top picks
:oops:
Try crossing the rocks with the cornish to see what you get. You should get some meaty crosses that way-- not like the store monsters though

Made it through w/ everyone intact... at least as far as I know... Haven't been to see them today, but last night everyone was alive. Glad I blocked those vents. The coop was a balmy 15* last night when the outside temp was 9*. Haven't scooped poop since Saturday morning. Tossed some scratch down last night for them to imbibe in today. Supposed to warm up throughout the day and be above freezing just before midnight (supposedly).... Got a few inches of snow here...
upload_2019-1-22_12-31-0.png

That was Sunday morning... we got more after this b/c of lake effect. Can't tell you how much I love living in an apartment. The plow guys had the road through the parking lot cleared. Sucks having to dig out my car, but didn't have to shovel anything so I call that a win. Went shopping w/ the kids yesterday since we were both off and main roads were mostly clear, but parking lots were trash. Tomorrow it's supposed to be 44* & rain so that's going to be interesting.

Last edited:
Try crossing the rocks with the cornish to see what you get. You should get some meaty crosses that way-- not like the store monsters though
I saved a cx hen 2016 and have been breeding her sons and their offspring... 2017 the cockerels were 6-7 lbs dressed at 16 wks.. 2018 only had 2 that were 6lb, did save the biggest though... the 3 original 2016 sons 2 lasted 18 and 30 months before they keeled over. The 3rd none of the hens like and he was tearing them up, so he went in the pressure cooker....The 2017 son I save for breeding died at 18 months, same age as his dad. water belly on 3 boys and several hens though. Not sure I want to continue this line, it's hard on the birds. But they are meaty.

I saved a cx hen 2016 and have been breeding her sons and their offspring... 2017 the cockerels were 6-7 lbs dressed at 16 wks.. 2018 only had 2 that were 6lb, did save the biggest though... the 3 original 2016 sons 2 lasted 18 and 30 months before they keeled over. The 3rd none of the hens like and he was tearing them up, so he went in the pressure cooker....The 2017 son I save for breeding died at 18 months, same age as his dad. water belly on 3 boys and several hens though. Not sure I want to continue this line, it's hard on the birds. But they are meaty.
I think you'll like the Heritage Cornish. My cock bird will be 2 in April and has fully recovered from his turtling episode. I haven't had a Cornish over 4 months die from anything. It seems like all the ones with leg weaknesses and other issues showed up early and everything else seems pretty strong. Of course my oldest Cockerels/pullets are only 10 months

I think you'll like the Heritage Cornish. My cock bird will be 2 in April and has fully recovered from his turtling episode. I haven't had a Cornish over 4 months die from anything. It seems like all the ones with leg weaknesses and other issues showed up early and everything else seems pretty strong. Of course my oldest Cockerels/pullets are only 10 months
after seeing your birds I am sure I will, Can't wait until warmer weather to hatch some of your eggs.
Glad The turtle recovered quickly... I haven't had any turtle.

Back
Top Bottom